This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6744 / 53°40'27"N
Longitude: -2.3064 / 2°18'22"W
OS Eastings: 379858
OS Northings: 419809
OS Grid: SD798198
Mapcode National: GBR DTBY.GK
Mapcode Global: WH97B.JXY1
Entry Name: Edenfield Parish Church
Listing Date: 9 August 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318084
English Heritage Legacy ID: 185713
Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, BL0
Electoral Ward/Division: Eden
Built-Up Area: Edenfield
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Edenfield
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
255/9/136 MARKET STREET
09-AUG-1966 EDENFIELD PARISH CHURCH
Church, 1778, with tower dated 1614. Watershot coursed sandstone, slate roof. West tower, 2-storey nave, short rectangular apse. Very simple rectangular tower of coursed rubble with short diagonal buttresses at west corners, square window openings at 2nd stage anciently blocked, that on south side incorporating a stone with raised lettering "LH 1614", square belfry louvres, small battlements. In angle with nave a single storey hipped-roof addition housing staircase. Six-bay nave has on south sides low buttress at west end, doorway with plain surround next to it, similar doorway at east end, 5
round-headed ground floor windows with keystones on the massive rectangular heads and 5 square lst floor windows, all these with glazing bars and very small panes; in centre of 1st floor a square wall sundial lettered S. AITKEN (LAT.53,37N)C.WARDEN at the head with 1826 on the face and in a descending semi-circle the legend TEMPUS EDAX RERUM EST. North side has matching windows, 6 at ground floor and 5 above. Apse has Venetian window, a datestone over it inscribed GR III 1778; end wall has one square 1st floor window each side of apse, small round-headed window above it.
INTERIOR: 3-sided panelled gallery on slim iron columns, 1811(the south side shortened in 1910 when the new organ was placed at the south east corner of the nave). Box pews in both aisles probably also early C19; benches in centre, 1870; flat ceiling carried on tie beams, with shallow iron braces in angles with exposed ends of trusses; various wall tablets, mostly C19.
This church is significant for its tower of 1614, and as a rare example of an C18 chapel of ease with an early C19 gallery and some box pews still in situ.
Listing NGR: SD7985819809
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings