This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5247 / 51°31'28"N
Longitude: -0.1452 / 0°8'42"W
OS Eastings: 528769
OS Northings: 182273
OS Grid: TQ287822
Mapcode National: GBR C7.KM
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.FYL1
Entry Name: Numbers 13-24 and Attached Railings the Diorama, Bedford College Annexe
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322054
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477715
Location: Camden, London, NW1
Electoral Ward/Division: Regent's Park
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Marylebone
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2882SE PARK SQUARE EAST
798-1/92/1279 (East side)
14/05/74 Nos.13-24 (Consecutive)
and attached railings
Includes: The Diorama, Bedford College Annexe PETO PLACE.
Terrace of 12 houses, the northern most bay forming part of
No.1 St Andrew's Place (qv). c1823-5. By John Nash. Nos 13-16
and Nos 20-24 converted to flats c1986, many original interior
features destroyed. Stucco and slated mansard roofs with
EXTERIOR: symmetrical terrace, 3 bays at either end and centre
7 window bays projecting. Projecting bays 4 storeys, and
basements; otherwise, 3 storeys, attics and basements. 3
windows each. Ground floor with attached Ionic order
supporting an entablature surmounted by a continuous cast-iron
balcony (the northern most projection without railings).
Square-headed doorways with architraves, cornices,
pilaster-jambs carrying cornice-heads and patterned fanlights
(except Nos 16, 19, 21, and 23) and panelled doors.
Architraved sash windows with cornices and some glazing bars.
1st floor windows arcaded with keystones, archivolts and
moulded imposts. 2nd floor sill band. Dentil cornice at 3rd
floor with attic storeys over centre and end bays and
balustraded parapets between.
INTERIORS: with stone stairs, cast-iron, foliated balusters
and wreathed wood handrails. Some panelled rooms; most with
enriched ceiling cornices and central roundels. Rear ground
floor room of No.24 with good vaulted and moulded ceiling,
roundels of Classical figures, pilasters and pedimented mirror
over original fireplace.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn
finials to areas.
No.18 incorporates at the rear, in Peto Place, a 3 storey,
altered, polygonal building in brick with stone capped
buttresses between round-arched 2nd floor windows. This was
the Diorama, a picture show designed by Augustus Charles Pugin.
By 1854 it had been converted into a Baptist Chapel which
closed 1922 when the Middlesex Hospital used it for a
rheumatism treatment pool. An arts co-operative at time of
inspection in 1989.
TQ2882SE PETO PLACE
798-1/92/1279 The Diorama, Bedford College Annexe
See under: Nos.13-24 and attached railings PARK SQUARE EAST.
Listing NGR: TQ2876982269
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings