History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Resurrection

A Grade II Listed Building in Eastleigh, Hampshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.9713 / 50°58'16"N

Longitude: -1.3513 / 1°21'4"W

OS Eastings: 445647

OS Northings: 119297

OS Grid: SU456192

Mapcode National: GBR 875.15N

Mapcode Global: FRA 861J.ZB2

Plus Code: 9C2WXJCX+GF

Entry Name: Church of the Resurrection

Listing Date: 14 February 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1322701

English Heritage Legacy ID: 354943

Location: Eastleigh Central, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO50

County: Hampshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Eastleigh Central

Built-Up Area: Eastleigh

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Eastleigh All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in


In the entry for:-
Church of the
SU 41 NE 4/200 23.1.81


the entry shall be amended to read:-


4/200 Church of the Resurrection

- II

Church. 1868-9 by GE Street, 1882 by JL Pearson and 1899-1905 by Sir
Arthur Blomfield. Walls of grey Plymouth limestone with Bath stone
dressings; Blomfield church has external facing of limestone from Berry
Head, Devon, with internal lining of brick; plain tile roofs. PLAN:
Street's church in Gothic early Decorated style has nave, chancel with
vestry to north; north aisle added in similar style by Pearson; south
transept and porch of Street's church removed to make way for
Blomfield's Decorated-style church which has west narthex and nave with
sanctuary end and south aisle and porch; Street's church then changed
into a north aisle with chapel. EXTERIOR: The Street and Pearson work
has Decorated-style windows. The Blomfield work has 2-light windows and
hood moulds over pointed-arched doorways to lean-to narthex; west end
also has linked hood moulds over 2-light windows and corner turret with
spirelet reset from Street's church; similar paired clerestorey windows
divided by pilaster buttresses; paired lancets to south aisle divided by
offset buttresses; pointed-arched doorway to porch adjoining transept,
which has lancets over 3-light plate-tracery windows; tall 3-light
windows light east end, which has had east window removed following 1985
INTERIOR: Street church includes mosaic sanctuary floor, stone carved
reredos, arch-braced roof with cusping to alternate trusses, moulded
chancel arch with carved responds. Octagonal piers to 4-bay arcade
facing Pearson's aisle, which has arch-braced roof with cusped spandrels
and moulded detail. Blomfield's church, most severely damaged in 1985
fire, has retained piscina, credence and sedilia to sanctuary, shafts to
Perpendicular roof corbels, 4-bay arcade and chamfered west arch on
chamfered piers with similar but lower outer arches to narthex.
HISTORY: The building of the church is closely associated with the
development of Eastleigh as a railway town after the construction of the
London and Southampton railway in 1840. The building of the church in
the 1860s was spurred on by gifts from the authoress Charlotte Yonge, an
Ecclesiologist and friend of John Keble, founder of the Oxford Movement:
the reredos was a gift of Yonge's mother. In 1891 the L & SWR carriage
works moved from Nine Elms in London to Eastleigh, the company
contributing donations for the building of a new church, Street's church
being left on the north side of Blomfield's structure.



Church of the
SU 41 NE 4/200 23.1.81


1868, by GE Street; 1884 north aisle by J L Pearson; 1899-1905 enlargement by A
Blomfield. Gothic style. The original small church of nave and chancel is now a
north aisle and chapel; c1300 style with geometrical tracery to east window. North
aisle of slightly later style, with octagonal piers. Attached on the south side is
the much bigger church, of nave, chancel, south transept with porch, south aisle,
and narthex with entrances at side. On the south-west corner a circular bell turret
is re-positioned from the original church. Red tile roofing; prominent gables.
Stone squared rubble walling; flat buttresses on south side, tall stepped
buttresses at corners, cill band, plinth. All windows, except south aisle lancets,
are traceried. Original reredos.

Listing NGR: SU4468019490

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.