This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.775 / 54°46'29"N
Longitude: -1.5751 / 1°34'30"W
OS Eastings: 427433
OS Northings: 542311
OS Grid: NZ274423
Mapcode National: GBR KFF7.S3
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.S75S
Entry Name: Bishop Cosin's Almhouses
Listing Date: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322865
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110400
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE
NZ 2742 SW
No. 7 (Bishop
Almshouse. Founded 1666, on Palace Green; present building 1837 for the
University. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate
roof. Tudor style. 2-storey outer bays and one-storey, one-bay link.
Boarded door with elaborate wrought iron hinges in Tudor-arched surround
at right of central bay, 2-light window at left; gabled end bays have 3-light
ground-floor and 2-light first-floor windows; floor string; commemorative
panels in gable peak, that at right eroded. All windows double-chamfered
under label moulds and stone-mullioned-and-transomed. Roll-moulded gable
copings on deep block kneelers.
Included for landscape value.
Listing NGR: NZ2743342311
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings