This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7752 / 54°46'30"N
Longitude: -1.5763 / 1°34'34"W
OS Eastings: 427350
OS Northings: 542336
OS Grid: NZ273423
Mapcode National: GBR KFF7.J0
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.R7KL
Plus Code: 9C6WQCGF+3F
Entry Name: Castle Gatehouse, Entrance Gateway, Side Walls, Linking Walls and Front Wall
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322867
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110409
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE PALACE GREEN
NZ 2742 SW (North side)
14/353 Castle gatehouse,
6/5/52 entrance gateway,
side walls, linking
walls and front wall
Gatehouse, gateway, linking, side and front walls. Medieval gatehouse altered
C16 for Bishop Tunstall and c.1790 in style of Wyatt for Bishop Barrington.
Gateway probably c.1790; walls probably C18 and early C19. Coursed squared
sandstone with ashlar dressings; ashlar gateway and flanking walls.
Gatehouse: 3 storeys, 3 bays. Moulded round arch of 4 orders, on shafts with
scalloped or chevron-moulded capitals, is flanked by battlemented projections
containing 2-centred-arched windows with intersecting glazing bars under
dripmoulds; similar window above arch and rose window above that, under
battlemented parapet. Battlemented corner turrets have blind cross slits
above blind quatrefoils. Rib-vaulted arch has lion-carved boss.
Entrance gateway: 2 octagonal piers with frieze and battlemented coping;
wrought iron scrolls on top support square gas lamps. Short sections of wall
either side have blind cross slits.
Front wall to Palace Green: high wall with roll-moulded coping extends along
the front to the Green; slightly lower section with sloped coping continues
in front of University College Master's House to Owengate.
Link walls between gateway and gatehouse, gatehouse and castle north and west
ranges and gatehouse and keep: battlemented walls, with Tudor-arched doors,
blind cross slits, and wide buttresses. Fountain set in courtyard side of
wall linking gatehouse with north range: moulded semicircular projection on
pedestal under renewed Tudor arch.
Listing NGR: NZ2735042336
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings