This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7731 / 54°46'23"N
Longitude: -1.5776 / 1°34'39"W
OS Eastings: 427269
OS Northings: 542103
OS Grid: NZ272421
Mapcode National: GBR KFF7.7R
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.Q9Y6
Entry Name: Priory Prison and Former Stables North of Number 15
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323259
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110145
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE THE COLLEGE
NZ 2742 SW (North side, off)
14/96 Priory prison and
6/5/52 former stables north
of No. 15
Stables and lofts, incorporating part of reredorter of priory, and priory prison
beneath. Stables now public conveniences. Medieval and C19. Coursed squared
sandstone with ashlar dressings; stone-flagged roof. Prison has ground-floor
round-headed entrance, with draw-bar slot, at left of stable block, which has
2 boarded and one Dutch doors, and two 2-light windows, in left part; 7
inserted square-headed windows at right. First floor has 3 loft openings with
wood lintels over boarded door at left and louvres, some renewed, at right.
Interior: prison in basement has stone newel stair to ground floor; 3 bays
visible at west end; possibly 5 further bays at east, now blocked. Altered
arcades have round columns with scalloped capitals surrporting chamfered
segmental arches now blocked to form north and south walls of chamber. North
wall of stable block said to show sills of reredorter south windows. Graded
for medieval parts.
Source: W. Page, V.C.H, 1928, reprint 1968, p. 131.
Listing NGR: NZ2726942103
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings