This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7728 / 54°46'22"N
Longitude: -1.5771 / 1°34'37"W
OS Eastings: 427302
OS Northings: 542069
OS Grid: NZ273420
Mapcode National: GBR KFF7.CW
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.R95F
Entry Name: Prior's Kitchen (Dean and Chapter Library)
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323260
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110146
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE THE COLLEGE
NZ 2742 SW (North side)
14/98 Prior's Kitchen (Dean
6/5/52 and Chapter Library)
Kitchen, now muniment room. 1366-74 by John Lewyn. Coursed squared sandstone
with plinth and ashlar dressings. Octagonal with corner projections making
square plan at ground level. Lantern has stone-flagged roof. South elevation
has gabled angle buttresses flanking paired chamfered lancets; corner bays have
clusped lancet at left, inserted small square window at right; sloped stone coping
to these projections. Top battlemented parapet. Sundial on right buttress.
Lantern has high hipped roof with gablets and gabled dormers.
Interior: coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; later brick insertions;
stone-vaulted roof with 16 ribs springing in parallel pairs from each side, forming
a star with 2 ribs springing from each corner; the central intersections form the
base of the lantern, reconstructed in render and glass c.1970. Each wall has a
relieving arch; ovens on north, south-west and south-east walls have brick
voussoirs, that on north-west has brick segmental head. Round-headed doorways
in north-east wall (2), and beside fire in north-west and south-west, the latter
giving access to a small room in which the rear of an C18 bread oven is seen; the
iron door of the oven is in the rear of the medieval fire. 2-centred arched
openings in east wall, and similar but blind openings in west. The corner rooms
make use of space within the square-cornered additions to the octagonal plan which
serve as buttresses to the vault, the structures being rubble-filled over the rooms.
It is thought that the design of the vault is either original or derived from
mosques as in Cordoba, Spain.
Source: W. Page V.C.H. 1928 reprint 1968, 129.
Listing NGR: NZ2730242069
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings