History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Devon County Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Exeter, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7145 / 50°42'52"N

Longitude: -3.5175 / 3°31'3"W

OS Eastings: 292958

OS Northings: 91644

OS Grid: SX929916

Mapcode National: GBR P1.9HK7

Mapcode Global: FRA 37J6.1FR

Entry Name: Devon County Hall

Listing Date: 24 April 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1323701

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469226

Location: Exeter, Devon, EX2

County: Devon

District: Exeter

Town: Exeter

District Council Ward: Newtown & St Leonard's

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Exeter St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Exeter

Listing Text

SX 9291 EXETER, FORMER CB TOPSHAM ROAD
St Leonards
871/15/10027
Devon County Hall

GV II*

County Hall: council chamber, associated suite, and local government offices. Designed 1955; built 1958-64. Designed by Donald McMorran. Buff brickwork, granite, low-pitched masonry slated roof. Courtyard plan with three to four storey building culminating in tower and council chamber, connected to the circa 1700 house "Bellair" (already listed). Varied treatment to elevations in McMorran's idiosyncratic classical manner. Some windows square headed, but in certain areas segmental headed for emphasis. Vaulted undercroft to entrance with segmental arches. Semi-circular arches to link with "Bellair". Tower has much blind brickwork above roof level topped by paired semi-circular headed bell louvres to each face with clock between, and bell above, on one face. A major civic work by McMorran, one of the most important architects to continue working in a sophisticated neo-classical idiom during the 1950s and 1960s. The building is of a very high quality throughout in terms of its materials, finishes, furnishings and craftsmanship, including the use of many local materials.

Listing NGR: SX9295891644

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.