This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9651 / 50°57'54"N
Longitude: -2.5842 / 2°35'3"W
OS Eastings: 359068
OS Northings: 118566
OS Grid: ST590185
Mapcode National: GBR MR.MF2V
Mapcode Global: FRA 56GK.K1F
Plus Code: 9C2VXC88+28
Entry Name: Glebe House the Rectory
Listing Date: 11 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323928
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105712
Location: Trent, Dorset, DT9
Civil Parish: Trent
Built-Up Area: Trent
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Trent St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 5818-5918 -
18/171 The Rectory and Glebe House
Rectory and attached private dwelling, formerly also part of the rectory.
C17 west range, re-fronted in early C18. Mid C19 range at right-angles,
facing south. Early C20 additions to the east and north. C15 doorway to
cellar, incorporated in the north range. Rubble-stone walls with ashlar
facings to principal elevations. Slate roofs with stone gable-copings.
C19 stone stacks with moulded cornices at gable ends, on inner rear gable
and outer rear gable. West elevation: 2½ storeys. 5 windows, regular
fenestration of sashes with glazing-bars, crown glass. Square stone
architraves. Moulded stone cornice with low stone parapet. Gable-end
of west range has two 2-light mullions. Iron casements with lead lights.
South gable end has C17 and C19 windows. South elevation to garden, this
range added mid C19. Two storeys. 3 windows, with a square bay at centre.
Venetian-windows throughout, sashes with glazing-bars, stone cills. Except
square bay at centre: hollow-chamfered mullion-and-transom windows. Wood
casements with glazing-bars. Doorway left of square bay, C19, of 'Venetian'
style with flanking windows. 2-leaf C19 door with fanlight over with glazing-
bars. Dropped Keystone to surround. North range of rectory, C19, much
extended in C20. Reset C15 door to cellars with moulded jambs and depressed-
arch head. Foliage carving in spandrels. Label over with head-stops.
Plank-and-muntin two leaf door. Front door to Rectory, moulded stone
architrave, flush-and fielded-panel door, fanlight over, C19. Interior
of rectory: stained glass in window on staircase, German and Swiss of C16
and C17 collected by Rev. W H Turner in mid C19. Armorials in centre light
with royal arms, Lion rampant of Scotland, German arms. Grisaille and
coloured glass-labours of the Months, March, May, 1687. Erasmus of Rotterdam,
1586. Card playing, late C17. Armorial of Christoffel Timpen, 1645. Armorial
of Heinrich Engelke, 1645. Staircase has rounded balusters and ramped hand-
rail, C18. Elliptical arches in passageways. Glebe House occupies the east
end of east range, early C20. 2 storeys. 4 windows in total, hollow-
chamfered stone mullions, iron casements with lead lights. Front door,
glazed in top half, early C20. Rear of Glebe House, C19, 3 windows, sashes
with glazing-bars. Coats of arms in niche, top right. This range formerly
extended further east. RCHM, Dorset I, p 258(8)).
Listing NGR: ST5907318566
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings