This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7204 / 50°43'13"N
Longitude: -1.8888 / 1°53'19"W
OS Eastings: 407943
OS Northings: 91197
OS Grid: SZ079911
Mapcode National: GBR X5W.N2
Mapcode Global: FRA 67X5.RXW
Entry Name: Church of St Michael (Including Tower)
Listing Date: 5 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324732
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101815
Location: Bournemouth, BH2
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bournemouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bournemouth St John with St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
768/9/8 POOLE ROAD
05-MAY-52 (North side)
Church of St Michael (including Tower)
1873-6, R Norman Shaw, tower 1900-1, John Oldrid Scott. Shaw's church conventional externally: high clerestory with coupled lancets, wider spaced lancets to aisles, Gabled south porch, triple-chamfered arch. Lean-to western narthex, 1930 by W D Caroe. Chancel windows are groups of traceried lancets under relieving arches, 5-light at east, 3-light at sides. South-east War Memorial Chapel, Y-tracery windows, 1920 by Sir T G Jackson. North-east gabled organ chamber and flat-roofed vestry (high chimney) attached by single-storey link (traceried, canted bay on west side) to Church Hall. Splendid high and massive tower at south-east corner of nave: very tall couple 2-light belfry windows with 2 transoms and Y-tracery, big polygonal pinnacles on clasping buttresses with many set-offs, gabled doorway to south, gabled stair-turret to north-east. Interior with 5-bay nave arcades, triple-chamfered on circular columns, clerestory windows with boldly unmoulded splays, connected at top by double-chamfered inner arches, each pair framed by sharp triangular shafts on corbels, with stringcourse below and continuous cornice.
Roof of 3 posts on tiebeam, open canted rafters. Elaborate but conventional furnishings by R G Pinder: pulpit 1889 (sculptor, W J Warren, alabaster panels,
green colonnettes, pink marble arches); murals in chancel 1889 (painted by Cox Sons, Buckley and Co); reredos 1884 (English altar with Majestas added circa 1925). Stained glass: 20 good aisle windows by Henry Holiday for Powells, circa
1880, east window by Mayer and Sons of Munich 1882 west window by Christopher Whall 1913. Sculpture in War Memorial Chapel by Sir George Frampton.
The Church and Church Hall of St Michael form a group.
Listing NGR: SZ0794391197
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings