This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8158 / 50°48'56"N
Longitude: -3.8236 / 3°49'24"W
OS Eastings: 271632
OS Northings: 103387
OS Grid: SS716033
Mapcode National: GBR L1.XZ24
Mapcode Global: FRA 26WY.27H
Plus Code: 9C2RR58G+8H
Entry Name: Hayne Farnhouse
Listing Date: 15 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325834
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95617
Location: Zeal Monachorum, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Town: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Zeal Monachorum
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Zeal Monachorum St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 70 SW
4/66 Hayne Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Mid C17, refurbished 1809 by George Snell according to the date plaque.
Plastered cob on rubble footings; stone rubble stacks, the main one with its
original stone chimney shaft, the other room now topped with plastered brick; thatch
3-room plan house facing south. There is a lobby entrance behind a 2-storey porch
left (west) of centre, the lobby created alongside a large axial stack serving back-
to-back fireplaces. To rear of the stack is a projecting stair turret. The kitchen
at the right (eastern) end has an end stack. There is a 2-storey outshot to rear of
the left room; it was originally single storey. 2 storeys with attics to main
Regular 1:1:2 window front of 2 and 3-light casements with glazing bars, probably
dating from 1809. The outer windows appear to occupy original embrasures but the
central wider windows appear to replace 2 windows and cupboards inside appear to be
blocking original windows. The porch is gabled and has an elliptical-headed outer
arch and, under the gable, is a large and distinctive ornamental plaster plaque with
a circular frame containing a hanging shield bearing the initials of George Snell
with the date 1809; it commemorates the refurbishment of the house. There is a
secondary C19 doorway into the kitchen at the right end of the front. The main
front door is original and the planks are heavily studded. Along the front eaves
the original oak wall plate shows an ovolo-moulded soffit. The roof is gable-ended.
Good Interior: although there are several early C19 features most of the interior,
including a good deal of joinery detail is C17 and well-preserved. The entrance
lobby floor has a pattern of small, shaped and variously coloured tiles, presumably
1809. In the left (western) room the ceiling is completely plastered over and the
stone rubble fireplace has a plain oak lintel (possibly a replacement). The front
window has C19 shutters. Rear doorway to outshot is a bead-moulded oak frame,
probably late C17-early C18. The middle room, the hall, has a soffit-chamfered and
scroll-stopped crossbeam and the exposed joists are scratch-moulded. The fireplace
is large, built of stone rubble and has an oak lintel (soffit-chamfered with scroll
stops) which is supported on the left side by an oak post with jowled head;
apparently original. Fireplace has a cloam oven. The cob crosswall opposite
includes a cupboard with early C18 panelled door hung on H-hinges.
The kitchen at the right end has an axial soffit-chamfered and scroll-stopped beam
and a large probably rebuilt stone rubble fireplace with roughly-finished oak lintel
and includes 2 C19 brick ovens with cast iron doors. There is an oak-panelled
window seat an an oak bench against the internal crosswall, both of uncertain date.
The first floor rooms show only C19 detail.
The stair block now contains a stick baluster stair with ramped handrail, presumably
1809, and there is a contemporary cupboard on the half-landing. From the first
floor landing an unusual and original stair rises to the attics, the first flight up
to the stack then dividing to each room. It has a closed string, square-section
newel posts, flat handrail and turned balusters. The original roof survives
essentially intact; 6 bays carried by A-frame trusses with pegged lap-jointed
collars with variant dovetail halvings. The left (northern) section is plastered,
the right is not and the door from the stairs to the latter is original; panelled to
the stairs and with scratch-moulded planks within.
Hayne is a most interesting house retaining much of the original build and little
altered since its 1809 refurbishment. It also forms an attractive group with the
stables and barns (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SS7163203387
Other nearby listed buildings