History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Battery Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Clovelly Bay, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1726 / 51°10'21"N

Longitude: -4.6793 / 4°40'45"W

OS Eastings: 212799

OS Northings: 144897

OS Grid: SS127448

Mapcode National: GBR GTTL.9CZ

Mapcode Global: VH2S3.VS3G

Entry Name: Battery Cottages

Listing Date: 7 October 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326647

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91985

Location: Torridge, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Town: Torridge

Electoral Ward/Division: Clovelly Bay

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Lundy

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Blagberry

Listing Text

LUNDY

SS14SW BATTERY POINT
1938-0/2/12 Battery Cottages

II

Pair of attached cottages of fog signal gunners. Circa 1861
for Trinity House. Drressed granite with projecting plinth.
Now roofless, probably originally slated. Central axial
stack with red brick shaft. Double depth plan pair of
cottages, each with a front and back zoom heated from a
central axial stack and with unheated 2-cell outshuts either
side with small room at the back.

Exterior: 1 storey. 1:3:1 bay front. Central granite porch
with front window and side doorways, flanked by tall windows
to front rooms and with small windows in outshuts set back to
left and right. The sides of the outshuts have a doorway and
a window. At the rear facing the cliff 2 large windows. All
windows have granite lintels and cills, but frames missing.

Interior: gutted. Fireplaces in axial stack have granite
lintels.

Note: The Old Lighthuse (qv) is situated at 470 feet above
sea level and was often obscured by fog. In an attempt to
solve the problem a fog signal battery (qv) was built in 1861
on cliffs below. The installation included these cottages
for the gunners and a magazine and integral privies (qv). In
1878 Trinity House substituted guncotton for the guns and in
1881 it was even considered that the lower light of the Old
Lighthouse should be moved to the Battery. Bells, hooters and
whistles were also experimented with but The Old Lighthouse
and Battery were eventually abandoned in 1897 when the North
and South Lundy Lighthouses (qv) were built. (Lighthouses,
their Architecture, History and Archaeology:D.B. Hague and R.
Christie; LUNDY:A and M Langham).


Listing NGR: SS1279944896

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.