History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Magazine and Privies About 15 Metres North East of Fog Signal Battery

A Grade II Listed Building in Clovelly Bay, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1725 / 51°10'21"N

Longitude: -4.6797 / 4°40'46"W

OS Eastings: 212772

OS Northings: 144892

OS Grid: SS127448

Mapcode National: GBR GTTL.96H

Mapcode Global: VH2S3.TSXH

Entry Name: Magazine and Privies About 15 Metres North East of Fog Signal Battery

Listing Date: 7 October 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326648

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91988

Location: Torridge, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Town: Torridge

Electoral Ward/Division: Clovelly Bay

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Lundy

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Blagberry

Listing Text

LUNDY

SS14SW BATTERY POINT
1938-0/2/11 Magazine and Privies about 15 metres
North East of Fog Signal Battery

GV II

Magazine and attached privies serving fog signal battery.
Circa 1861 for Trinity House. Dressed granite. Gabled roof,
the privies now roofless, the magazine has barrel vaulted
brick roof clad in slate. Overall rectangular plan. 2
attached privies on right (east) with wider (approx. square)
integral magazine on left (west).

Exterior: 1 storey. 2 symmetrical gables at front (south)
facing path down to Battery (qv). Under the right hand gable
2 privy doors, under the left hand gable a doorway to the
magazine, all with granite lintels. The building is set on a
bettered stone plinth on the cliff edge, its back facing the
sea.

Interior: The W.C.s have been removed from the privies. The
magazine is brick-lined, has a brick barrel-vaulted roof and
a ventilation hole in the rear gable.

Note: The Old Lighthouse (qv) is situated at 470 feet above
sea level and was often obscured by fog. In an attempt to
solve the problem a fog signal battery (qv) was built in
circa 1861 on cliffs below. The installation included
cottages for the gunners (Battery Cottages qv) and this
magazine and privies. In 1878 Trinity House substituted
guncotton rockets for the guns and in 1881 it was even
considered that the lower light of the Old Lighthouse should
be moved to the Battery. Bells, hooters and whistles were
also experimented with but The Old Lighthouse and Battery
were eventually abandoned in 1897 when the North and South
Lundy Lighthouses (qv) were built. (Lighthouses, their
Architecture, History and Archaeology:D.B. Hague and R.
Christie; LUNDY:A and M. Langham).


Listing NGR: SS1277244892

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.