This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.0894 / 50°5'21"N
Longitude: -5.5761 / 5°34'33"W
OS Eastings: 144307
OS Northings: 27155
OS Grid: SW443271
Mapcode National: GBR DXMF.SS4
Mapcode Global: VH05P.90JT
Entry Name: Kerris Manor Farmhouse Including Front Garden Walls and Rear Courtyard Walls
Listing Date: 15 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327506
English Heritage Legacy ID: 69570
Location: Paul, Cornwall, TR19
Civil Parish: Paul
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Paul
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 42 NW
5/12 Kerris Manor Farmhouse including
- front garden walls and rear
Manor farmhouse including front garden walls and rear courtyard walls. C17, possibly
incorporating earlier walls. Remodelled at the front in 1721 for RP (Richard Pearce)
(datestone over doorway) and extended in the C18. Granite ashlar front, otherwise
granite moorstone rubble with granite dressings. Scantle slate roof with gable ends.
Granite coped, gable ends to rear range. Original gable axial and lateral dressed
granite stacks with moulded tops. Circa late-cl9 or early-C20 pierced crested clay
Plan: Large plan built-around a rectangular courtyard plus a short projecting wing
set back on the left-hand side. Front (east) range was substantially rebuilt in 1721
and the internal features are probably of this date. There is a large parlour on the
left, a similar sized room (now kitchen) on the right and a large central hall with
externally projecting stair and fireplace at its rear. The front wall of the rear
(west) range continues, at either side of the courtyard and is presumably one of the
oldest surviving parts. There is a through passage (front and rear doorways) at left
of middle. L-shaped range on the left (south) of the courtyard has many C17
features; right-hand (north) range had a small service room with axial through
passage behind with C17 opening on its right. There is a stair beside the fireplace
in the front right-hand room.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 7 window east front with central doorway (second
from left-hand first floor window opening and window opening over doorway blocked).
C18 6-panel door with top 4 panels later glazed. Two C18 sashes with thick glazing
bars right of doorway, otherwise circa early C19 12-pane sashes and some later
copies, all in original openings. Ground floor openings have incised lintels to
resemble flat arches with voussoirs. Later lean-to on left. North courtyard front
of south range has C17 3-light freestone or elvan hollow-chamfered 3-light mullioned
window to first floor.
West front of rear range has C17 chamfered doorway left of courtyard front, blocked
opening to first floor left and blocked chamfered mullioned window to ground floor
right (within north range).
Interior: Range set back on the left has C17 chamfered windows in the front, left-
hand and rear walls. Front range has many features of 1721 including: complete
panelled parlour with bolection mouldings and moulded cornice (repaired at west end
in 1987 following fire); ovolo-moulded panelling and moulded cornice to rear wall of
hall, left of stair; many doors with fielded panels and eared chimney piece in left-
hand chamber. Stair has closed string and heavy turned balusters and appears to be
circa late C17. Left-hand range and rear range have C17 chamfered and stopped
ceiling beams and there are probably many features not inspected or hidden. Roof
structures not inspected.
Granite coped rubble walls enclose a rectangular garden at the front. Gateway aligns
with doorway of the house and is flanked by gate-piers of reused dressed masonry
which are integral with the garden walls. The piers have large chamfered caps and
ball finials. Rear courtyard walls are taller, built of granite rubble and enclose 2
yards. Near the rear left-hand corner of the house is a C17 chamfered doorway,
For a period until 1694 Kerris was in 3 different ownerships. In 1694 Richard Pearce
brought the 3 parts and it was his son Richard (1693-1753) who carried out the last
major alteration to the house which was completed in 1721 (datestone). In 1743
Richard Perce and his wife Maria were declared bankrupt and John Hawkins came into
possession of the property. Kerris Manor Farmhouse is on an ancient site and is set
in a beautiful coastal landscape rich in prehistoric remains including the unique
Source: Historical information was extracted from copies of historical information
from the CRO lent by present occupier.
Listing NGR: SW4430727155
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings