History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chy-An-Scol and Old Schoolhouse Including Courtyard Walls at Front chy-An-Scol and Old Schoolhouse, Including Courtyard Walls at Front

A Grade II Listed Building in Marazion, Cornwall

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1246 / 50°7'28"N

Longitude: -5.4689 / 5°28'7"W

OS Eastings: 152155

OS Northings: 30710

OS Grid: SW521307

Mapcode National: GBR DXWC.1RC

Mapcode Global: VH130.5459

Entry Name: Chy-An-Scol and Old Schoolhouse Including Courtyard Walls at Front chy-An-Scol and Old Schoolhouse, Including Courtyard Walls at Front

Listing Date: 9 October 1987

Last Amended: 16 August 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1327566

English Heritage Legacy ID: 69917

Location: Marazion, Cornwall, TR17

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Marazion

Built-Up Area: Marazion

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Marazion

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Marazion

Listing Text

In the entry for:
MARAZION FORE STREET
SW 5230-5330 Marazion
5/13
Chy-an-Scol and
Old Schoolhouse,
including courtyard
walls at front

GV II


the entry shall be amended to read
TURNPIKE HILL,
Marazion
Chy-an-Scol and Old
Schoolhouse, including
courtyard walls at front

II

------------------------------------

MARAZION FORE STREET, Marazion
SW 5230-5330
5/13 Chy-an-Scol and Old Schoolhouse,
including courtyard walls at front

GV II


School with schoolhouse, now 2 houses. Built in 1861 for Sir Christopher Cole's
widow to provide education for the poor boys of the parish. Dressed granite brought
to course with dressed granite steps, quoins, doorways and windows. Dry Delabole
slate roofs with granite coped gable ends and dressed granite chimneys; chimneys over
left hand gable and front gable, right, have octagonal shafts; large chimney over
party wall and another chimney at rear, right. Tudor style.
Plan: T-shaped plan overall comprising single storey schoolroom left with entrance
porch in front of left hand side and cross wing of schoolhouse,right, with chambers
mostly in the roof space, schoolhouse entrance lobby right.
Exterior : Overall asymmetrical 1:2:1-bay south road front: stonework of doorways and
windows painted; plinth; chamfered depressed 2-centred arched doorways with
hoodmoulds and relieving arches, original doors; shouldered headed lights to the
chamfered mullioned windows. 2 light windows to schoolroom between gable ended porch
left and projecting gable end of schoolhouse, right; 3 light window left of
schoolhouse gable, doorway right; 4-light window to middle of gable, both windows
with hoodmoulds and relieving arches. The gable window has wide central mullion
containing flue. Over this window is an inscribed plaque to John Cole and a similar
plaque in the porch gable has the Cole (Earl of Ilchester) coat of arms.
Interior not inspected but schoolhouse is said to be very little altered but the
schoolroom is subdivided for use as a house.
Low forecourt area walls of dressed granite brought to course at the front with 3-
sided dressed granite copings and in front of each doorway is a flight of granite
steps.


Listing NGR: SW5215530710

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.