History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Churchyard Gates, Piers and Wing Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Eccleston, Cheshire West and Chester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.157 / 53°9'25"N

Longitude: -2.8793 / 2°52'45"W

OS Eastings: 341301

OS Northings: 362573

OS Grid: SJ413625

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.533Y

Mapcode Global: WH88F.RX33

Entry Name: Churchyard Gates, Piers and Wing Walls

Listing Date: 2 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1330198

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55300

Location: Eccleston, Cheshire West and Chester, CH4

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Eaton and Eccleston

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Eccleston St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Saighton

Listing Text

SJ 4162 ECCLESTON C.P. CHURCH ROAD
(North side)

7/104 Churchyard gates, piers
and wing walls

GV II

Pair of gates, side screens, gate piers and wing walls. Gates, side
screens and piers, c.1722, ascribed to Robert and John Davies of Croes
Foel; wing walls probably 1957. Wrought iron, with stone piers and
wing walls. Ornate dog-bars; scrolled lockrail; gilded wrought
cartouche in central panel of each gate (above lockrail); decorative
panels below and above lockrail in each side screen. Overthrow with
repousse'floral and leaf patterns, carrying central shield (with
Grosvenor Arms since 1957). Scrollwork terminates in repousse leaves.
Square rusticated red sandstone piers with moulded plinths and urn
caps. Quadrant rock-faced red sandstone wing walls with flush rounded
copings.
The Duke of Westminster bought, removed and re-erected the gates and
piers on the demolition of Emral Hall in 1957. (The Davies Bros.,
Gatesmiths; Ifor Edwards; Welsh Arts Council 1977).


Listing NGR: SJ4130062573

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.