History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashton Hayes, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2231 / 53°13'23"N

Longitude: -2.7396 / 2°44'22"W

OS Eastings: 350714

OS Northings: 369811

OS Grid: SJ507698

Mapcode National: GBR 7J.0T7G

Mapcode Global: WH889.W7LZ

Entry Name: Church of St John Evangelist

Listing Date: 8 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1330310

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55705

Location: Ashton Hayes and Horton-cum-Peel, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Ashton Hayes and Horton-cum-Peel

Built-Up Area: Ashton Hayes

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Ashton Hayes St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Mouldsworth

Listing Text

SJ 56 NW ASHTON C.P. CHURCH ROAD
(West Side)

3/2 Church of St John
Evangelist.

GV II

Church: 1849 by Shellard at the expense of William Atkinson, vestry
added and chancel altered in 1900 by Douglas and Minshull, north
chapel of 1932 by Theodore Fyfe. Tooled ashlar buff sandstone.
Lakeland green slate roof. 4-bay nave and 2-bay chancel, north aisle
and chapel in separate range, south porch and vestry, 3-stage west
tower and spire. Gabled south porch with angle buttresses has moulded
pointed arched doorcase with label mould. Nave and aisle have bays
divided by buttresses and 2-light windows with cinquefoil-headed
lights and panel tracery. Label moulds, alternately on carved head
corbels. Octagonal vestry with flat roof has chamfered rectangular
windows. Similar windows in chancel and a 4-light east window with
the same detailing. Tower has a plinth, diagonal buttresses, plain
bands at each floor, and an embattled parapet. Stair turret projects
at north-east corner. 3-light west window with transom, clock in 2nd
stage and a 3-light louvred bell opening. Recessed spire with
beading along the arrises, and lucarnes.
Interior: simple with 4-bay arcade to north aisle on octagonal
piers. Arch-braced collar roof. Chancel arch on engaged
colonnettes. Chancel has similar but painted roof. Aisle chapel
dedicated to the memory of Ernest Johnson has a barrel vaulted ceiling
with ribs and a flattened apsidal end with the vault sprung from
colonnettes. Pulpit in Art Nouveau manner with pierced sprays of
roses. (Pevsner and Hubbard).


Listing NGR: SJ5071469811

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.