This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7899 / 50°47'23"N
Longitude: -3.145 / 3°8'42"W
OS Eastings: 319386
OS Northings: 99549
OS Grid: SY193995
Mapcode National: GBR LZ.ZH22
Mapcode Global: FRA 4790.8KK
Entry Name: Offwell Barton
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1333304
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88779
Location: Offwell, East Devon, Devon, EX14
Civil Parish: Offwell
Built-Up Area: Offwell
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Offwell St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 19 NE OFFWELL OFFWELL
3/109 Offwell Barton
House. C16 and C17 origins, extensively rebuilt circa 1810 by the Reverend Edward
Copleston, Bishop of Llandaff and Dean of St. Pauls. Local stone and flint rubble
laid to rough courses with Beerstone ashlar quoins and detail; stone rubble stacks
with octagonal Beerstone chimneyshafts; slate roof, thatch to rear service block.
Plan: the house has an L-plan. The main block faces east and it has a 4-room-and-
cross-passage plan. At the left (south) end is the service end kitchen with a
gable-end stack. Between this kitchen and the passage is a narrow unheated
dairy/buttery. The hall has an axial stack backing onto the passage and there is an
unheated inner room at the right (north) end. A 1-room plan parlour wing projects
forward at right angles in front of the inner room and it has a gable-end stack. To
rear of the kitchen is a single storey service wing projecting at right angles.
The main house retains the layout and some features of a C16 house with C17
improvements. However, it is essentially a shell. Not enough remains to determine
the early development of the house in detail. It was probably some form of open
hall house. The old house was extensively rebuilt in circa 1810 in Tudor Gothic
style. It is 2 storeys.
Exterior: the main block has a regular but not symmetrical 3-window front of circa
1810 Beerstone windows with hollow-chamfered mullions, round headed lights sunken
spandrels and hoodmoulds. They contain rectangular panes of leaded glass. The
passage front doorway is right of centre and it contains a part-glazed 4-panel door
behind a Beerstone ashlar porch. The sides of the porch have Tudor arch panels.
The outer Tudor arch has sunken spandrels and a hoodmould. The gable has shaped
kneelers and coping with a cusped frieze below and a panelled shaft at the apex with
a ball finial. Towards the left end there is a service doorway to the kitchen; this
has an elliptical arch with hoodmould and contains a plank door. The roof is gable-
ended with shaped kneelers and coping.
Interior: some early features survive particularly in the hall. Here there is a
large Beer stone ashlar fireplace with a low Tudor arched oak lintel and cnamfered
surround. At the upper end is the remains of an oak plank-and-muntin screen. The
muntins are chamfered with cut diagonal stops high enough to accommodate a bench
below. The parlour crossbeam is plastered over but is thought to be C17 and the
contemporary fireplace here is blocked. The kitchen fireplace is probably C17; it
has a neatly chamfered oak lintel but is lined with C19 brick and includes a large
C19 oven and ash pit. All the main block ground floor rooms have flagged floors.
The rest of the detail and carpentry dates from the circa 1810 rebuild.
Listing NGR: SY1938699549
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings