History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Beech House

A Grade II Listed Building in King's Stanley, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7324 / 51°43'56"N

Longitude: -2.275 / 2°16'29"W

OS Eastings: 381104

OS Northings: 203783

OS Grid: SO811037

Mapcode National: GBR 0LC.7NK

Mapcode Global: VH94X.JQ58

Plus Code: 9C3VPPJG+X2

Entry Name: Beech House

Listing Date: 28 June 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340641

English Heritage Legacy ID: 131885

Location: King's Stanley, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL10

County: Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: King's Stanley

Built-Up Area: Stroud

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Kings Stanley

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Ryeford

Description

SO 8103 KING'S STANLEY CHURCH STREET
(west side)

13/11 Beech House

28.6.60

GV II

Detached house. Early C18, refronted c1770 by Anthony Keck.
Flemish bond red brick, roughcast rendered on front elevation;
ashlar dressings; brick chimneys; plain tile roofs. Two-storey
with attic and cellars; two 2-storey rear wings. Attached small
former cottage at south end and outbuildings at north end screened
by high walls extending from facade. Front: 5-window 12-pane sash
fenestration with segmental arches. Central doorway with large
moulded flat porch hood on moulded brackets; double 3-panel doors
with large fanlight. Plain band at upper floor level. Moulded
stone parapet cornice Two flat-roofed attic dormers with small-
paned casements. Chimney at each gable end. Rear: 2 gabled
wings, right appearing to be in earlier brickwork and part of
original house. Single-window fenestration to right wing: 2-light
chamfered stone-mullioned cellar opening, C20 casements above with
segmental-arched heads. C19 fenestration to left gable. Infill
between wings has panelled door with rectangular light over and
upper floor casement. Chimneys to both wings. Alternating stone
quoins. Lean-to former bakery at north end.
Interior is probably mostly by Keck. One ground floor room fully
panelled with fluted Doric pilasters to chimneypiece. Dentil
enrichment to fireplace and ceiling cornice. Adam style plaster
frieze in another room. Staircase with turned pilasters and swept
handrails. Was home of Anthony Keck until his death in 1797.
Boundary wall with terminal piers to east (q.v.).
(H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-
1840, 1978; N.M. Herbert, 'King's Stanley' in V.C.H. Glos x,
1972, pp 242-257; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds,
1979)


Listing NGR: SO8110403783

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.