This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9723 / 51°58'20"N
Longitude: -2.3368 / 2°20'12"W
OS Eastings: 376957
OS Northings: 230480
OS Grid: SO769304
Mapcode National: GBR 0HC.B0N
Mapcode Global: VH93Q.FPZD
Plus Code: 9C3VXMC7+W7
Entry Name: Stables, the Down House
Listing Date: 2 October 1954
Last Amended: 17 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341973
English Heritage Legacy ID: 125958
Location: Redmarley D'abitot, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19
Civil Parish: Redmarley D'Abitot
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Redmarley d'Abitot St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
REDMARLEY D'ABITOT -
SO 73 SE
6/140 Stables, The Down House
(formerly listed with Down
Stable block: 1823 by Thomas Rickman for George Dowdeswell.
Rendered brick lined as ashlar in centre, English garden wall bond
brickwork to wings and rear, painted on garden face: slate roof.
'U' plan, 2-storey, 3-bay centre, 4-window wings, lofted on left,
single storey on right. Symmetrical facade to garden: central
carriage opening; either side plinth, unfluted Doric pilasters
flanking opening and at corners of block, sash window between.
Above plain frieze and cornice, also forming head to carriage
opening: low, plain parapet over, carried up in centre with
moulded cornice each side and semi-circular-headed centre. Behind
circular cupola, 8 plain Doric columns with cornice, lead dome and
iron weathervane. Hipped roof. Set back and lower, each side,
wings: plain plinth, sash window, rubbed brick arch, flat soffit
to eaves, hipped roof, chimney on ridge against centre block.
Right return 4 dummy windows, rubbed brick arches, plinth and roof
as front: left similar but one window a sash. Centre carriageway
painted brickwork; doors pivoted bottom, top pin hinge survives
each side with stone hinge block. Cambered brick arch on
pilasters each side: behind double boarded doors to upper floors
each side, cambered brick arches; below at rear openings each side
to porches, cambered brick arch to courtyard. Internally, 5
looseboxes on right, boarded walls, iron grilles in top part
partitions, plastered ceiling with moulded cornice. Left wing in
2 rooms, 2 looseboxes and tying for 2, with loft over; originally
designed for ceiling as right. King-post roof trusses, iron
bolts, 1 pair purlins, plank ridge. Greek revival, designed with
Listing NGR: SO7695730480
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings