This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4565 / 52°27'23"N
Longitude: -1.9101 / 1°54'36"W
OS Eastings: 406203
OS Northings: 284288
OS Grid: SP062842
Mapcode National: GBR 5YK.48
Mapcode Global: VH9Z2.VJ16
Plus Code: 9C4WF34Q+JW
Entry Name: 225 and 227, Bristol Road B5
Listing Date: 8 July 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1343336
English Heritage Legacy ID: 216804
Location: Birmingham, B5
Electoral Ward/Division: Edgbaston
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Edgbaston St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
Nos 225 and 227
SP 0684 SW 52/5
Built as 2 separate villas, now linked as one property. No 225 is a circa
1860 symmetrical villa with ornate Italianate details. Stucco faced with
3 bay main block and set back one bay wings. Ionic pilasters as quoins to
first floor and flanking central window. Deep entablature with modillion
cornice and parapet, largely concealing low gable end slate roof. Two storey
canted bays flank centre, probably circa 1880-90 addition. The wings and
centre of first floor have paired round headed sashes in architrave surrounds
with cornice moulding over, that to centre surmounted by scrolled pediment;
pediment-blocking course motif to wings. Central coupled pilaster doorway
with pediment rising from ground floor cornice of flanking canted bays.
No 227 is a circa 1840-50 three storey red brick villa with stucco dressings.
The second floor is probably a slightly later addition of the mid 1850s.
Deep stucco plinth supports the elevated ground floor which is articulated
by chanelled, vermiculated stucco piers, the ground floor cornice and blocking
course breaking forward boldly over them. The moulded string over the first
floor window heads acts as bed mould to stepped brackets carrying prominent
moulded cornice and blocking course. Boxed eaves cornice to second floor.
Hipped slate roof with flanking moulded cornice chimneys. All windows have
revealed glazing bar sashes. The entrance cuts through plinth rising directly
to reduced window of right hand bay; cornice on consoles with blocking course.
The entrance has presumably been reset from side.
Listing NGR: SP0620384288
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings