History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables at Pendley Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Tring, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7986 / 51°47'54"N

Longitude: -0.6365 / 0°38'11"W

OS Eastings: 494118

OS Northings: 211985

OS Grid: SP941119

Mapcode National: GBR F4P.7WF

Mapcode Global: VHFRW.X2B0

Plus Code: 9C3XQ9X7+C9

Entry Name: Stables at Pendley Manor

Listing Date: 29 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1343681

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355746

Location: Tring, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Tring

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tring

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Tring

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/09/2020

SP 91 SW
4/110

TRING
STATION ROAD (south side)
Pennyroyal Court
Former stables at Pendley Manor

(Formerlly listed as Stables at Pendley Manor, STATION ROAD)

GV
II
Stables. Circa 1875 for Joseph Grant Williams Esq, presumably by Walter F.K.Lyon, architect for Pendley Manor (q.v.) in similar style. Red brick with Bath stone dressings, white brick bands, interior of courtyard in white brick with red brick bands and arches, half-timbered gabled upper floor over north entrance arch with infill of red brick in various patterns and ornamental stucco incised panels with bottle ends. Steep red tile roofs with cusped cresting tiles, and wooden clock cupola over entrance with ogee dome and wind vane.

A rectangular stable courtyard block with single-storeys on north, east and west but two storeys on south, and rising to two storeys over pointed stone entrance arch in middle of north side. Large ventilators along roof of taller south range parallel with road. In Jacobean style to match the house. Smaller gable to right of that over entrance presumably for stair. Spiral fluted terra cotta chimney pots on moulded brick bases. Pilasters frame clockface on cupola. Large riding school adjoining on east dated 1878, altered and not of special interest.

Listing NGR: SP9411811985

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.