This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0181 / 51°1'5"N
Longitude: -3.1026 / 3°6'9"W
OS Eastings: 322755
OS Northings: 124882
OS Grid: ST227248
Mapcode National: GBR M1.J1SZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 46DF.73T
Entry Name: The Old Brewery House
Listing Date: 16 October 1973
Last Amended: 26 July 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344736
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269666
Location: Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA1
District: Taunton Deane
Town: Taunton Deane
Electoral Ward/Division: Taunton Eastgate
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Taunton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 2224 NE 9/208
Old Brewery House
Good late C18/early C19 house, now in an isolated position, 2 storeys, Red brick.
Old tiled roof, eaves band. 3 windows in wooden frames with triple lights to left
and right on upper floor. Small canted bays to left and right on ground floor.
Sashes with thin glazing bars, Centre round headed doorway with fluted pilasters.
Recessed semi-circular traceried fanlight, panelled reveals and 6-panel door.
Large round headed staircase window in rear elevation with traceried head.
Listing NGR: ST2281824818
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
A former brewer’s house, dating from about 1760; the attached theatre and arts centre are not included.
A former brewer’s house, dating from about 1760; the attached theatre and arts centre are not included in the listing.
MATERIALS: red brick with rubbed brick dressings and plain clay tile roofs.
PLAN: the house is broadly rectangular on plan, with the north end slightly angled to create a less regular, double-pile footprint, with the entrance to the west.
EXTERIOR: the building is a double-pile house of two storeys and three bays, built in red brick laid in Flemish bond, with plain clay tile roofs, and brick gable-end stacks. The windows, in rubbed-brick, flat-arched openings, are later horned sashes. The principal (west) elevation has a central entrance with a semi-circular headed opening over fluted pilasters. The recessed doorway has panelled reveals and a semi-circular fanlight over a six-panelled door. To either side on the ground floor are shallow canted bay windows. The central first-floor window is six-over-six panes, flanked by tripartite windows of six-over-six panes with two-over-two panes to the margins. The south gable ends are rendered to a height of about 1m, and are blind apart from one small timber casement window at ground-floor level. The rear elevation is obscured at ground-floor level by later additions. The first floor has six-over-six sash windows to either side of a long stair window whose semi-circular head has spider-web glazing.
INTERIOR: the ground floor of the western range has been opened up into a single space, though wall stubs and beams indicate the former layout, of two rooms to either side of a central hall. The room has a short length of moulded cornice above the front door, and further, flat moulded cornice at the north end of the room. It retains its moulded skirtings and door surrounds, chair and picture rails and the bay windows have panelled reveals. The rooms to the rear have in part been subdivided, but retain some cornice and their door surrounds. The former kitchen has a very wide arched recess. The stair remains in its original position; it is has a small open well and an open string with applied brackets and slender stick balusters, turned newel posts and ramped handrails. The first-floor landing has a curving gallery. It retains a moulded cornice, much overpainted. A segmental-arched opening on moulded pilasters gives access to the western rooms. All the rooms retain their moulded and deeply-recessed doorcases and four- or six-panelled doors. Two rooms have classical fire surrounds with dentil friezes, one with a later-C19 fireplace with floral tile inserts.
The site on which the Old Brewery House stands was historically a field known as the Rack Hay, where cloth was stretched out to dry on the banks of the River Tone. Later, the area was used as a coal store, and as an orchard, giving rise to the present name of Coal Orchard. From at least the early C18, the area was a brewery. In 1760, it was described as having been in use for 30 years, and at this time, it consisted of three houses, a malt house, brew house, coal yard, stable and cellars. The Old Brewery House, the former brewer’s house, dates from around this period. In 1883-1885, the brewery buildings were rebuilt by John Sloman of the Stogumber Brewery, who renamed it West Somerset Brewery. The site changed hands again in the later C19 and was leased out until at least 1913, when the Old Brewery House was sold, and subsequently used as a social club by various electricity boards, until 1975. The Ordnance Survey map published in 1968 shows the remaining brewery buildings on the site, including a long range which stood alongside the northern end of the Old Brewery House and extended eastwards in two parallel ranges.
In 1975, the site was leased in order to build a new theatre. A campaign to raise support and funds for a new theatre and arts centre had been headed by John Wilkins and Cllr John Meikle; they received support from across the community and local business. The theatre was constructed in 1976-1977, alongside the Old Brewery House, which was retained and converted to use as ancillary functions, including a kitchen, bar, restaurant and meeting rooms and offices. Photographs from the period of construction show that the other buildings had been cleared from the site in advance of the redevelopment.
A further phase of redevelopment and expansion took place in 1996: a new studio theatre, gallery and arts spaces were added to fill the plot to the east of the existing buildings. The area between these new blocks, the Old Brewery House and the theatre building was roofed over to create a linking space to house a bar, and a small performance and exhibition space. The Old Brewery House became an exhibition space to the ground floor and offices above, in which use it remained in 2017.
The Old Brewery House, built about 1760 as a brewer’s house, from 1977 becoming ancillary space and offices for the attached Brewhouse Theatre and arts centre (not included in the listing), is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as a well-preserved mid-C18 house with neat detailing, such as the rubbed brick flat arches to the openings, which also retains good internal joinery of the late C18 and early C19.
* the Old Brewery House is the last surviving element of a former brewery complex which occupied the site for around 200 years.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings