This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7544 / 51°45'15"N
Longitude: -0.3427 / 0°20'33"W
OS Eastings: 514494
OS Northings: 207485
OS Grid: TL144074
Mapcode National: GBR H83.XX5
Mapcode Global: VHGPQ.05PF
Plus Code: 9C3XQM34+PW
Entry Name: The Old Church
Listing Date: 27 August 1971
Last Amended: 23 August 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347155
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163477
Location: St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL3
District: St. Albans
Town: St. Albans
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peters
Built-Up Area: St Albans
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: St Albans St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 1407 SW VERULAM ROAD
575/8/151 St Albans
575/9/151A (Northeast side)
The Old Church
(Formerly listed as:
Former church, now offices. 1850-56. By Charles Parker for Alexander Raphael, M.P. Converted and extended 1980s. Ashlar, with asbestos slate roof replacing former Roman pantiles. Aisled nave with SW campanile; chancel with flanking vestries and crypt below; link passage to former vicarage at rear. Italianate in style, with shallow-pitched roofs, heavily bracketed eaves, round-arched windows and carved classical capitals.
Exterior: Campanile has corner piers and 3 stages defined by bracketed bands and heavy cornice. Lower stage contains double multi-panelled doors with APXW symbol carved in stone lunette above. Upper stages have triple-arched openings, the larger belfy lights with Corinthian capitals, the middle stage Tuscan to match similar clerestory windows. Bellcote at far end of nave. Aisles have 2-light windows in Italian Renaissance style with foliated capitals. Lower vestries have wide arches, that to south with C20 doors, the large triple-arched chancel windows showing above. 1980s extensions to rear and forming L-plan wing to south are partially below ground and terminate in broken ashlar gable with fully-glazed projecting bay.
Interior: Campanile has stone stairs to belfry, and multi-panelled inner doors. Nave has been partitioned into 3 storeys but retains 3-bay arcades on Ionic columns. The arch soffits carved with foliage panels, and the blind oculi above, are now concealed in attics over the aisles. Moulded plinths and arches to campanile and chancel. Chancel has wall piers with egg and dart capitals, Corinthian windows details and 1980s stair. Roof trusses, doubled over nave and chancel, have heavy cut brackets and bosses. Clear leaded glass, with 1880s stained glass only in central E light, all undergoing restoration July 2000.
History: Built to same design as St. Raphael, Surbiton, Surrey, previously erected 1846-7, also for Alexander Raphael. Intended as an R.C. church but completed for C.of E. by Mrs. Isabella Worley. Consecrated 1859. Later used by Methodists.
This building remains of special interest despite conversion because of its Italianate ashlar exterior and intact structure. It has group value with the former vicarage to the rear.
Listing NGR: TL1449407485
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings