This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.8955 / 54°53'43"N
Longitude: -2.9399 / 2°56'23"W
OS Eastings: 339819
OS Northings: 556047
OS Grid: NY398560
Mapcode National: GBR 7CXT.BW
Mapcode Global: WH802.T68V
Entry Name: Nos 26, 28 and 30 and Railings to Front
Listing Date: 1 June 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355058
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386656
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3956SE CASTLE STREET
671-1/6/74 (West side)
01/06/49 Nos.26, 28 AND 30
and railings to front
Terrace of 3 houses, now offices, flats and restaurant. 1823,
for and by Paul Nixson, a Carlisle architect with his own
marble works. Calciferous sandstone ashlar, rusticated on the
ground floor with sill bands and modillioned eaves cornice.
Graduated greenslate roof with skylights and dormer windows at
rear; C19 ridge and end brick chimney stacks, some rendered
3 storeys, 9 bays; each house of 3 bays; double-depth houses.
3 left railed gates in railed void, give access down stone
steps to cellar door under each entrance. Each house has steps
at right to panelled door and overlight with Greek-key
pattern, in prostyle Ionic porch. Sash windows with glazing
bars in plain reveals on ground floor and cellar; in stone
architraves with cornices and panelled aprons on first floor,
those over doorways with console brackets. Smaller attic
INTERIOR has moulded plaster ceilings on both floors, some
with roundels and panels (rib-vaulted in the hall of No.26).
Panelled internal shutters at front and rear. Good C19 white
and black marble fireplaces in most principal rooms; the white
marble one in the first floor room of No.26 has a figured
frieze, probably carved by David Dunbar, Nixson's principal
sculptor (Nixson's speciality was carved fireplaces). Panelled
doors in panelled reveals, some of mahogony; original
staircases, that in No.26 is spiral with patterned cast-iron
balusters, in a domed well.
HISTORY: The Carlisle Patriot, 5 July 1823, says "the houses
now in course of erection in Castle Street, by Paul Nixson,
will be a great ornament to the town - the beautiful white
stone and architecture are worthy of each other". That these
are the houses referred to is confirmed by BC Jones,
CWAAS.Trans., NS, LXXXVIII, but he wrongly dated the terrace
to 1829 on the evidence of land tax assessment records.
(Cumb. & West. Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc., New Series:
Jones, Bruce: LXXXVII: Before Tullie House: P.141; Carlisle
Patriot: 5 July 1823).
Listing NGR: NY3981956047
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings