History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gate Lodge to Harris Orphanage with Associated Gate Piers and Gates

A Grade II Listed Building in Fulwood, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7847 / 53°47'4"N

Longitude: -2.712 / 2°42'43"W

OS Eastings: 353185

OS Northings: 432272

OS Grid: SD531322

Mapcode National: GBR T7Z.WZ

Mapcode Global: WH85M.94TF

Entry Name: Gate Lodge to Harris Orphanage with Associated Gate Piers and Gates

Listing Date: 15 January 1985

Last Amended: 13 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361629

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185877

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR2

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Town: Preston

Electoral Ward/Division: Greyfriars

Built-Up Area: Fulwood

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text

SD 53 SW FULWOOD GARSTANG ROAD

7/30 Gate Lodge to Harris
Orphanage, with
associated Gate piers
and gates (formerly
listed with "The Harris
Children's Home")
15.1.1985
GV II

Lodge and gateway to Harris Orphanage, 1885-88, by Benjamin Sykes of
Garlick, Park, and Sykes,for the trustees of E.R. Harris. Accrington red
brick with sandstone dressings, Cumberland slate roof. Vernacular Revival
style. T-plan, single storey: to drive, a prominent gabled wing with
canted bay window and small square flanking windows under oversailing gable
of applied black and white studding with pargeted apex displaying a shield
lettered A.D.;
1887
in left angle a lean-to porch, to the road another gable decorated like the
first; on the ridge near the junction a tall Tudor-style triple chimney
stack with moulded cap. Gate piers: 4 inner, making carriage gateway
flanked by pedestrian gates, and 2 outer, all red brick heavily-banded with
sandstone; square section, c.3 metres high, with hemispherical tops, the
innermost bearing ornamental iron lampholders. Iron spear-railing gates.


Listing NGR: SD5318532272

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.