This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6827 / 53°40'57"N
Longitude: -2.6647 / 2°39'52"W
OS Eastings: 356197
OS Northings: 420899
OS Grid: SD561208
Mapcode National: GBR 9TTV.XL
Mapcode Global: WH975.1PDM
Entry Name: Worden Old Hall
Listing Date: 4 August 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361900
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357934
Location: South Ribble, Lancashire, PR7
District: South Ribble
Town: South Ribble
Electoral Ward/Division: Buckshaw & Worden
Built-Up Area: Worden
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Leyland St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 52 SE LEYLAND EUXTON LANE
9/28 Worden Old Hall
Manor house, probably late C16 and early Cl7. Timber-framed, but refronted partly in stone but largely in brick at two dates around 1800. Two storeys. Originally rectangular plan of 7 bays to give 3 rooms with a through-passage, extended later along the front under 4 gables, of which the second from the left houses the round-headed porch leading to the passage. C19 and C20 windows and a C20 slate roof. Timber framing, often with wattle-and-daub infill, survives almost completely inside, especially in the upper storey rooms, which have chamfered ceiling beams and internal partitions with debased 4-centre doorcases, in much of the back wall and also in the original front wall (now half hidden behind the extension) which shows traces of herring-bone framing at the parlour end and quatrefoil panels around the front door. Main fireplace with chamfered 4-centre arch and a double cornice of brick chevrons towards the through-passage. History: original residence of the Faringtons of Worden, Lords of the Manor. Leyland; William Farington (1537-1610), comptroller of the household of the Earls of Derby, was probably the prototype of Shakespeare's Malvolio. Though now in a superficially poor condition, the building is one of the very few sub-medieval timber-framed gentry houses in the County.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings