History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Roman Catholic Church of St Gregory

A Grade II Listed Building in Chorley, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6388 / 53°38'19"N

Longitude: -2.6308 / 2°37'50"W

OS Eastings: 358388

OS Northings: 415988

OS Grid: SD583159

Mapcode National: GBR BV2C.7B

Mapcode Global: WH97C.KSFV

Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Gregory

Listing Date: 21 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362171

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357589

Location: Chorley, Lancashire, PR7

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

Town: Chorley

Electoral Ward/Division: Chorley South East

Built-Up Area: Chorley

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Chorley St George

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Chorley

Listing Text

SD 51 NE CHORLEY WELD BANK

5/73 Roman Catholic Church of
St. Gregory
-
- II


Church, 1814-15, enlarged 1831, with facade 1845. Pebble-dashed brick
with slate roof, ashlar aisles and north front. Nave; aisles; narthex
and 4-stage tower with belfry. North front (in Italian Renaissance style)
consists of single-storey pedimented narthex divided into 3 bays by
panelled pilasters, the centre of the pediment broken by a pedimented
2nd storey (with corner pilasters and central coved niche with statue of
Christ carrying cross); this forms the 2nd stage of the tower which has
at 4th stage a belfry of 4 aedicules surmounted by a belvedere with ogee
cap terminating in a cross; at ground floor level the centre of the
facade has a round-headed entrance with voussoirs, Tuscan columns and
fanlight with radiating glazing bars, and each flanking bay has a coved
niche with a statue. North end of each aisle has a round-headed doorway
with Tuscan columns. Nave has 5 lunettes; aisles have square tripartite
windows except at south end which is of 3 stepped round-headed lights.
Convex south end of nave has 3 blind round-headed arches with an impost
band. Interior: wide nave and concave sanctuary in one vessel, the
sanctuary having engaged giant Corinthian columns with blind round-
headed panels between them; tops of similar Corinthian columns between
lunettes of nave rise to moulded frieze and cornice with modillions which
carry round the whole; flat panelled ceiling; gallery at north end carried
on single and coupled Tuscan columns had entablature with egg-and-dart
decoration and panelled parapet similarly decorated.


Listing NGR: SD5838815988

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.