This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2451 / 51°14'42"N
Longitude: 0.3347 / 0°20'4"E
OS Eastings: 563048
OS Northings: 152140
OS Grid: TQ630521
Mapcode National: GBR NPV.TP6
Mapcode Global: VHHPV.RY8V
Plus Code: 9F3268WM+3V
Entry Name: Oxon Hoath
Listing Date: 1 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363044
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178969
Location: West Peckham, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11
District: Tonbridge and Malling
Civil Parish: West Peckham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: West Peckham St Dunstan
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 65 SW WEST PECKHAM SCHOOL ROAD (south
1.8.52 Oxon Hoath
Some remains of late C16 house on site that had been occupied earlier. House
extensively remodelled after 1757 and c 1846 by Anthony Salvin. Further
additions by Burn & McVicar Anderson, 1878. Coursed rubble stone throughout,
slate hipped roofs. Entrance front. Rusticated and painted rendered ground-
floor. Painted rendered plat-band and quoins. Eaves cornice with 4 small
pediments to sides, 1 larger over centre. 3 storeys, 55 bays, glazing bar
sashes in painted moulded window surrounds with sills. Central bay projects
slightly with segmental pediment on brackets over central 1st floor window.
Central arched doorway with fanlight and half-glazed double-doors, balcony
over with balustrade resting on console brackets carved with masks. Earlier
2-storey wing to left with blocked Elizabethan 6-light transom and mullion
window on ground floor to right. Irregular fenestration of tripartite and
single sashes. Now masked by shrubs and trees. South front. 2 storey
fenestration, with 3 storeys internally behind left-hand 2 bays, visable in
upper part of 2 left-hand ground floor windows. 8 bays, with 2-3-2-1 rhythmn
3 bay bow and right-hand 1 bay tower. Eaves cornice with small windows to
sides of central bow. Octagonalised Mansard roof over bow woth shallow dome
above and wrought iron railings to platform over. 3 storey, 1 bay tower to
right topped by very tall and steep square Mansard roof. Arched windows in
arched recesses to both south and east sides of tower, the surrounds in rusti-
cated render. Balconies over on heavily decorated console brackets. 1 storey
billiard room extension to east by Burn & McVicar Anderson. East side of
house, partly hidden by extensions, but with 4 pediments on eaves cornice and
irregular fenestration of single and tripartite sashes. Interior. Mixture
of C18 and C19 rooms and motifs. All doorcases late C18 with flat hoods.
Hall with screen colonnade of fluted composite columns. C18 chimney-piece.
Central stair-hall. 2 storeys with coved ceiling and central square lantern
light. Central acanthus bass, lion brackets at sides. Gallery on 2 sides
of stair-hall with Ionic columns and pilastered piers, balustrades between
coming forward. Chair-leg balusters throughout. 3 flight square-well stair-
case in centre. 2 tall arched entrances to stairhall to east and west under
south landing. Library with panelled bow. Bookshelfs in heavy neo-Jacobean
style, carved in wood. Carved 2 storey fireplace with earlier, probably C17,
central panel of angels. Louis XV style pelmet-hoods. Deep, lush, but
delicate cornice and thin-ribbed ceiling. South-west room. Painted acanthus
cornice. Later C18 French fireplace of carved wood in Marie Antoinette rustic
shepherd style, painted realistically. Dining Room. Late C18 cornice incor-
porating military cartouches. C18 wooden chimney-piece. Drawing-room. C18
chimney-piece with relief of Oedipus and the Riddle of the Sphinx in panel
below mantelpiece. Heavy ribbed ceiling and Louis XV-style pelmet-hoods.
This house has a II* rating for its interest as a building known from the
sources to have been remodelled 3 times and because of its interesting interiors.
View of Jacobean house by Kip: 'THE HISTORY OF KENT IN FIVE PARTS', John Harris,
London, 1719, Vol I, Book II, page 235. There is a view of the house in the
later C18, before the Salvin alteration, from the south-west, in the house.
Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects,
'S', London, 1976, 14. Details of the 3 preliminary exterior sketch perspectives
by Salvin and the sketch elevation of the Library interior, all c 1846, that
survive in the RIBA Drawings Collection.
Listing NGR: TQ6304852140
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings