History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bungay, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.4571 / 52°27'25"N

Longitude: 1.4392 / 1°26'21"E

OS Eastings: 633756

OS Northings: 289907

OS Grid: TM337899

Mapcode National: GBR WKW.YFT

Mapcode Global: VHM6G.WHPS

Plus Code: 9F43FC4Q+RM

Entry Name: Bridge House

Listing Date: 9 May 1949

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1365335

English Heritage Legacy ID: 409877

Location: Bungay, East Suffolk, Suffolk, NR35

County: Suffolk

District: East Suffolk

Town: East Suffolk

Civil Parish: Bungay

Built-Up Area: Bungay

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bungay Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in


TM 3389

(East Side)
No 34
(Bridge House)


C18 block to road frontage dated 1776. Late Cl6 with later modifications
at rear. Occupied by Gregory Clarke in 1688 who was rebuilding it at
the time of the great fire from which it was saved by the watchman. West
portion 2 high storeys with 2 blank-window panels at each floor, with
flat arches, and stone cills. Red brick. Cornice, below parapet with
stone cope. Pantiles. Entrance front on return south. 3 windows, sash,
with glazing bars, 6-panel door with arched patterned radial-bar fanlight,
in case with panelled reveals, fluted Doric columns, triglyphs and dentil
pediment. Interior: panelled room with enriched cornice, converted to
Veterinary Surgeons dispensary, In room above, marble mantel attributed
to John Adam with Ionic pilasters tapering downwards, Earlier portion
at rear, 2 storey and attic, 3 dormers with segmental pediments. Brick,
rendered. Tiles. 5 flush frame sash windows with glazing bars, and canted
oriel. 4-panel central door in wood case with consoles. Second door,
right, with 6 flush panels and pedimented hood. Chateaubriand resided
here in 1795 when the house was occupied by Rev J Clement Ives.

Nos 2, 4, 6A, 12 to 20 (even), 24 to 34 (even) 40 to 44 (even), 48 and 50
form a group.

Listing NGR: TM3375689907

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.