This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6164 / 50°36'58"N
Longitude: -2.4522 / 2°27'7"W
OS Eastings: 368102
OS Northings: 79724
OS Grid: SY681797
Mapcode National: GBR PY.D3VG
Mapcode Global: FRA 57RF.VW8
Entry Name: Belvidere (Terrace)
Listing Date: 12 December 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1365868
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467605
Location: Dorset, Dorset, DT4
Electoral Ward/Division: Melcombe Regis
Built-Up Area: Weymouth
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Radipole and Melcombe Regis
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
873-1/18/157 (West side)
12/12/53 Nos.116-131 (Consecutive)
Terrace of 16 houses. Begun 1818, completed 1855 (RCHME).
Brick, many rendered, slate roof. Units generally in 2-room
depth with dogleg stair to one side, and small rear service
wing; all are under a double-ridge roof with central valley
gutter, but Nos 127 & 128 are of greater depth than the
remainder. The central pair and 2 houses at each end are
slightly stepped forward to provide articulation. A variety of
wings has been added later at the rear.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attic and basement, becoming a full 4
storeys at the lower rear. Each house has 2 flat-roofed 6-pane
sash dormer windows, except Nos 118, 123 & 125, with gabled
Victorian dormers. The parapet has been cut down in front of
the dormers to Nos 120, 122, 123, 125, 127 & 129.
Below, each house has 3 windows, all sashes; 12-pane at second
floor, 15-pane to first floor to a continuous balcony, arched
12-pane to the ground floor, and 16-pane to the basement.
Glazing bars remain as follows: second-floor to Nos 112, 116 &
118; first-floor to Nos 118, 126 & 127; ground-floor to Nos
116, 117, 124 & 125, and basement to all except 117, 119, 123,
125 & 128. No.124 has had a shop front inserted. Windows are
generally in plain reveals, but the centre one to each house
at first floor has thin pilasters supporting consoles to a
The 6-panelled door with side lights and radial fanlight, on 6
steps with nosings remains to most units. Spearhead cast-iron
railings return each side of the steps, and there is a gate to
steps to the basement areas.
Ground floor is channelled, under a stone balcony on brackets,
and with cast-iron trellis-pattern balustrade, second-floor
windows are to a sill band, and there is a moulded cornice,
blocking course and parapet. There are 16 deep brick stacks to
each of the ridges, and further stacks flush with the rear
wall to Nos 118-124.
The left return is plain, with paired stacks joined by a flat
parapet, and a central sash to the second floor. A lower
hipped wing is set back, to the left. The right return is
plain, with small paired stacks joined by a flat parapet,
above a wide central blank panel to arched head, flanked left
by 2 blind lights, and right by 12-pane sashes; the basement
level is in ashlar, with a small central light, and there is a
low hipped 3-storey rear wing including a 2-storey canted
The back wall is mainly in brickwork, some of this in English
garden wall bond (5 courses of stretchers to 1 of headers),
and it retains many of the original dormers behind a
continuous parapet, some with sashes, and various glazing-bar
sashes, including an arched sash with radial bars to the
staircase lower level. A variety of wings, some of original
date, and many with glazing-bar sashes. The extra depth of Nos
127-128, with rendered walls, is prominent.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
The terrace has lost some of its homogeneity resulting from
rendering the fronts, but is generally well retained
externally, with only the one shop intrusion, and railings and
balcony still in situ. The long building period did not lead
to noticeable changes in detail.
(RCHME: Dorset, South-East: London: 1970-: 356; Buildings of
England: Newman J & Pevsner N: Dorset: London: 1972-: 454).
Listing NGR: SY6810279724
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings