This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7546 / 51°45'16"N
Longitude: -1.2533 / 1°15'11"W
OS Eastings: 451636
OS Northings: 206476
OS Grid: SP516064
Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.V8Q
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.7587
Entry Name: 6 and 7, New College Lane
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369401
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245674
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
NEW COLLEGE LANE
Nos 6 & 7
SP 5106 SE 9/255 l2.1.54.
House. 1 building possibly Cl7 in origin but appears to be mainly Cl8. 3-storeyed
stuccoed and roughcast rubble with Welsh slate roof. The ground floor of
No 7 has a modern boxed out bay. 4 sash windows, with glazing bars, those
in the 1st floor having cornices and blind boxes. On the North-East angle
of the roof is a restored rectangular structure, with a modern cornice and
a Welsh slate roof, said to have been used as an observatory by the astronomer
Edmund Halley. (DNB). The sides of the house are stuccoed and on the North
side is an overhang. History. Once known as Stable Hall. See illustration
and history of the "Old Observatory" in Ingrams "Memorials" (1837) pages
3-5 of "The Observatory".
No 5, New College Rooms and Nos 6 to 8 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5163606476
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings