This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7531 / 51°45'11"N
Longitude: -1.2562 / 1°15'22"W
OS Eastings: 451440
OS Northings: 206303
OS Grid: SP514063
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.16V
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.56RF
Entry Name: 14, Turl Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369438
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245922
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Michael and St Martin and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 5106 SW 8/316A 12.1.54.
House and shop. RCHM 101. Originally a C17 house, altered in C18 and restored
in C19. 3-storeyed stuccoed timber-framed with a coved overhang at the 2nd
floor with a moulded cornice above it, and 2 gables; the roof is of Welsh
slate. The ground floor has a modern shop front. In the 1st floor, on the
South, is a modern 3-sided bay with sashes; on the North is a modern 3-sided
bay with double sashes in the centre; these lights as well as those in the
returns, have gothic-traceried heads. The 2nd floor has 2 double sash windows
in moulded wood frames. The gables have what appear to be 2 original moulded
bargeboards and at each side is a carved grotesque bracket; in the gables
are double sash windows in moulded wood frames. Down the centre of the
front is a C18 lead rainwater pipe with a moulded head. The back is stuccoed.
C18 panelling and staircase. Exterior. Its state in 1824 (altered now chiefly
by insertion of shop front) is shown in a Buckler drawing. Rear reconstructed
Nos 6 to l4 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5144006303
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings