This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3096 / 53°18'34"N
Longitude: -1.1236 / 1°7'25"W
OS Eastings: 458490
OS Northings: 379537
OS Grid: SK584795
Mapcode National: GBR NZL5.JB
Mapcode Global: WHDF7.Q24N
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 1 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370402
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241279
Location: Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S80
Electoral Ward/Division: Worksop North West
Built-Up Area: Worksop
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Worksop St John
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 57 NE WORKSOP GATEFORD ROAD
3/70 Church of St.John
Parish church. 1868. By R. C. Clarke and Son for Messrs. Machin
and Foljambe. Decorated Revival style. Rockfaced ashlar with
ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Moulded chamfered plinth,
buttresses, moulded string courses, moulded eaves and corbel
table, balustrade, shouldered coped gables with kneelers and
crosses. Gargoyles. Lancet windows with shafts with foliate
capitals and hood moulds. Doors with similar hood moulds and
stops. West tower, nave, chancel, north porch, north and south
aisles, organ chamber and vestry. Buttressed 2 stage west tower
has 4 pinnacles and broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes.
Moulded west portal with shafts and shouldered doorway with
inscribed tympanum. Foundation stone and single lancet to south.
Stair turret to north. First stage has single lancets to west and
south, and above, to west, clock. Second stage has a double
lancet bell opening on each side. Clerestorey has 5 triple
lancets on each side. Chancel, 2 bays, has 2 double lancets on
each side, and to east, a triple lancet and above, vescia piscis.
5 bay north aisle has porch to west and 4 double lancets. Single
bay north porch has moulded doorway with clustered shaft responds
and stiff leaf capitals. A single trefoil opening on each side.
Organ chamber has moulded doorway to north and blocked double
lancet to east. Vestry has to east a square headed triple lancet
and to south, a doorway with shouldered head. South aisle has 5
double lancets and a similar lancet to west. West porch has
segmental headed doorway and rib vault on imposts. Nave arcades
have 4 clustered piers with various foliate capitals, quatrefoil
bases and chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds. Sill
band and clerestorey windows with shafts. King post roof with
cusped arch braces and shaft responds. Chamfered and rebated
tower arch with traceried timber screen, 1912. Roll moulded
chancel arch with triple shaft responds and hood mould. Chancel
has a single arch each side, with clustered responds. East end
has linenfold panelling and matching reredos. East and south
windows have C19 stained glass. Arch braced principal rafter
roof with single responds. North aisle east end has traceried
panelling, c.1938, and arch to organ chamber. 3 windows with
C19 and C20 stained glass. Roof with curved braces. South aisle
has timber screen forming vestry at west end and 5 windows with
C2O stained glass. Fittings include plain pews, panelled
traceried oak stalls, panelled oak pulpit on octagonal ashlar
base, brass eagle lectern on ringed shaft, 1898; font with
chamfered inscribed plinth, granite shaft with 4 minor shafts,
square bowl with recessed figure panels and corner shafts.
Traceried panelled cover. Memorials include war memorial window
and brass, 2 C19 and single C20 brasses.
Listing NGR: SK5848379533
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings