This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2961 / 53°17'45"N
Longitude: -1.1464 / 1°8'47"W
OS Eastings: 456990
OS Northings: 378018
OS Grid: SK569780
Mapcode National: GBR NZFB.L5
Mapcode Global: WHDF7.CFB0
Entry Name: Worksop Manor, House and Stable Block
Listing Date: 13 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370406
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241298
Location: Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S80
Electoral Ward/Division: Worksop South
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Worksop St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 57 NE WORKSOP MANSFIELD ROAD
3/88 Worksop Manor,
House and Stable
Country house and stable block. 1701-04; redesigned by James
Paine for the Duchess of Norfolk, 1763; altered 1840 and later
C19. Ashlar with hipped slate roofs. Plinth, first floor band,
cornice, coped parapet, windows with projecting architraves, some
with keystones, rusticated quoins, various panelled ridge and
side wall stacks. 2 and 3 storeys some with attics. Quadrangle
with screen wall to west and projecting basement wall of former
house also to west. Approximately 25 bays wide by 14 bays deep.
East exterior front has recessed central bay with projecting
flanking wings. Round headed central gateway has moulded lintel
and flanking pilasters and single glazing bar sash in tympanum.
Flanked by single round windows and in return angles, lean-to
porches with Doric corner piers. Above, pediment containing oval
glazing bar light, flanked by single glazing bar sashes and by
similar sashes in return angles. Above again, hexagonal timber
bell turret with ball finial. Double depth flanking wings have
single doors with moulded architraves and 11 glazing bar sashes
of various sizes on each floor, with projecting architraves, some
with keystones. Courtyard interior north and south ranges, 14
bays, have 3 doorways with scrolled brackets to flat hoods, 4
smaller doors without hoods, and 7 glazing bar sashes. Above, 14
glazing bar sashes, and above again, 8 dormers with alternating
pediments. East range has central pedimented gateway with 5-bay
ranges either side, with central 3 arched arcades with pilastered
surrounds. Exterior south front 1701-04, converted and extended
to form house, c.1840, has 3 storey 11 bay front with off centre
full height canted bay window containing 5 plain sashes on each
floor. To its left, a single sash, and to right, 4 sashes.
Above, 7 sashes and above again, 7 smaller sashes. C19 addition
to left has smaller canted full height bay window with 3 plain
sashes on each floor; to its left, a setback bay with a single
sash on each floor. West range is a screen wall and pavilion by
James Paine. Main central gateway and smaller flanking
gateways; to left, pavilion. Plinth, impost band, entablature
and parapet. 17 bays. Central gateway has paired giant flanking
columns, and above, blind attic with recessed central panel and
corner pilasters. Above again, concave sided podium with cornice
carrying heraldic lion. Important wrought iron gates by
Bakewell. Wall has giant Doric columns. Flanking gateways have
round heads and similar gates. To left, octastyle portico. East
side has single round headed niches flanking central gateway with
round blank panels above, and round headed blind arcading with
intermediate pilasters. Rusticated basement wall has central
projecting bay with 4 round headed keystoned openings, and at
each end a projecting 3 bay flanking wing. That to left has
single coped gable and balustrade; 3 glazing bar sashes with
keystoned lintels and to left, octagonal glazed C19 porch.
Above, 3 dormers with alternating pediments. Interior has fine
mid C18 fireplace. flanking walls have each 6 blank openings.
Similar openings on south side. Cornice and balustrade with
urns. Ramped coped buttress at west end. Originally built for
the sixth Earl of Shrewsbury, late C16. Greatly altered and
extended, and stables built, for the eighth Duke of Norfolk,
1701-04. Internal alterations by James Paine from 1756.
Destroyed by fire 1761; rebuilt by Paine 1761-67. Demolished
and altered by the Duke of Newcastle, 1840. Sources: Pevsner:
M. Binney, Country Life Mar. 1973.
Listing NGR: SK5699078018
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings