This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.9711 / 54°58'15"N
Longitude: -2.1034 / 2°6'12"W
OS Eastings: 393479
OS Northings: 564056
OS Grid: NY934640
Mapcode National: GBR FBRY.FT
Mapcode Global: WHB2C.N9LY
Entry Name: The Claustral Buildings of the Former Augustinian Priory of St Andrew Now Incorporated in Hexham Court House and Hexham House Clinic the Court House and Hexham House Clinic
Listing Date: 2 October 1951
Last Amended: 18 May 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370776
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239040
Location: Hexham, Northumberland, NE46
Civil Parish: Hexham
Built-Up Area: Hexham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Hexham
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
1. (North-West Side)
The Claustral Buildings
of the former Augustinian
Priory of St Andrew now
incorporated in Hexham
Court House and Hexham
House Clinic (formerly
listed as Remains of the
NY 9364 1/2 2.10.51.
C13 Vestibule to Chapterhouse to south of south transept: ruins now incorporated
in the St Cuthbert Chapel . Nothing significant remains of the Chapterhouse
Lavatorium: circa 1280 on wall of undercroft to south-west of west end of nave.
7 crocketted pointed arches corbelled above now walled-in trough. Blind tracery.
Undercroft: south-west of west end of nave. Segmental barrel vault with chamfered
Prior's House: C15 and C16 to west of undercroft and facing Prior's Court.
Practically nothing left after repeated fire damage and early C19 ashlar rebuilding,
except for Prior Leachman's window on north side above gateway to Prior's Court.
Cusped and crocketted ogee arch with coat of arms as finial charged with the
saltire cross of the Priory with a tall crest and supported by naked figures.
4 corbel masks below window and a leaf pattern panel.
The C19 rebuilding is 2 storeys, 8 windows to south (glazing bar sashes) with
a segmental archway to northern courtyard. Crenellated on north side.
The Carnaby Block: dated 1539. Very much altered. North-west of west end
of nave and north of Prior's House. 2 storeys, 5 windows. Rough ashlar.
Crenellated with chevron bedmould. 1,2 and 3 light mullion windows with 4
centre arched and moulded heads. Ground floor has had 3 segmental archways
inserted, 2 partly glazed, one now a doorway. Elevation returned to west to
join Prior's House.
The East range: early C19 above the undercroft. 1+3+3+2 windows on 1st floor.
Plate glass sashes. Ashlar. Steps to 1st floor on left. Roof hipped to left.
3 tall eaves chimneys. Ballroom with wood ceiling now court room. Returned
to south: rubble. 2+4 windows, glazing bar sashes. Reeded doorcase with hood.
Scheduled AM [Nos 51a and 51b].
Hexham Court House, together with the Priory Church of St Andrew, Market Place
form a group.
Listing NGR: NY9349664079
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings