This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0224 / 51°1'20"N
Longitude: -3.0975 / 3°5'51"W
OS Eastings: 323118
OS Northings: 125357
OS Grid: ST231253
Mapcode National: GBR M1.HWLN
Mapcode Global: FRA 46DD.WM0
Entry Name: Firepool Pumping Station
Listing Date: 12 May 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372427
English Heritage Legacy ID: 361613
Location: Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Taunton Lyngford
Built-Up Area: Taunton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
The folloing building shall be added to the list:-
ST 23 25
6/10000 Firepool Pumping
Two limekilns of the early 1840s; surmounted by hot air engine house
built c1866 and water tank of 1877 and subsequently remodelled in 1889
as a pumping station for Bristol and Exeter Railway.
Limekilns built of limestone rubble with buttresses and keyed brick
arches to 2 chambers; rest of English bond red brick with blue brick
string and impost courses; hipped slate roofs with brick lateral stacks
to flanking ranges; segmental corrugated iron roof to wrought-iron water
Main block with water tank, built on limekilns, is of 2 storeys with
segmental-arched windows to 4-window range articulated by recessed
segmental-arched bays with flanking pilasters. Other elevations are
articulated in similar fashion. To left of front is a lower 3-storey
one-bay block with seqmental-arched windows and lean-to roof over
cartbay to left. To right, and with its roof at same height and
balancing that to left, is a similar one-storey bay built on top of
limekiln continued from underneath main block and having entrance to
rear. Interior not inspected but noted as including two sets of Pearn
three throw engines dating from the building's use as a pumping station,
which continued until 1960s.
The lime kilns were built at the point where the Bridgewater and Taunton
Canal (1827) and the Grand Union Canal (1838) met the river Tone, and
were erected on a coal and culm wharf established following the arrival
of the Bristol and Exeter Railway in 1842. More water was needed to
service the station at Taunton, aid the brick for the 1860s building was
supplied by William Thomas of Poole, West Buckland.
Listing NGR: ST2311825357
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings