This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8573 / 52°51'26"N
Longitude: 1.4489 / 1°26'55"E
OS Eastings: 632282
OS Northings: 334435
OS Grid: TG322344
Mapcode National: GBR XGD.TBT
Mapcode Global: WHMSK.7F5X
Plus Code: 9F43VC4X+WG
Entry Name: Church of St. Margaret
Listing Date: 16 April 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1373419
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224293
Location: Paston, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR28
District: North Norfolk
Town: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Paston
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Paston St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 33 SV
Church of St. Margaret
Parish church. C14, restored 1601, 1843 and 1869. Quaternary flint and chert with Lincolnshire Limestone ashlar dressings. Thatched nave and slate roofed chancel.
West tower. Three stage tower with diagonal buttresses to ringing chamber, each stage set-off. Two-light cusped Y tracery west window under hood on labels. Square cusped ringing chamber windows, that to west C19. Two-light Y tracery belfry windows below crenellated parapet. Stairs to south-east. Nave buttresses stepped and diagonal at corners. Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses. Wave moulded round arch below trefoiled statuary niche. Two-light Perpendicular side lights. Multiply wave moulded inner south door. Arched north door. Three arched nave windows north and south of two or three lights and cusped intersecting tracery, all restored or renewed C19. Rood stairs to south east nave. South chancel illuminated through C19 triple stepped lancet under single hood mould to west and two-light divergent mouchette window to east. Arched priests' door. Diagonal east buttresses and four-light cusped intersecting east window. North chancel with one two-light mouchette window and one blocked two-light Y tracery window. Eaves of chancel raised in brick on north side.
Interior. Chamfered tower arch and double chamfered chancel arch. Scissor braced C14 nave roof with collars and boarded ashlaring. Octagonal late C14 font with ogee traceried stem panels and two-light mouchette tracery in bowl panels. Late C14 wall paintings on north wall. To west St. Christopher carrying Christ, further east the morality The Three Living and The Three Dead. C15 reading desk with poppyheads and two traceried panels. Heavily restored screen, originally C15. Four bays right and left of arched cusped opening. Two-light tracery dados and upper tracery panelling below top rail. Monument in chancel to Dame Katherine Paston 1629, by Nicholas Stone. Alabaster. Double arches supported on Corinthian columns below pediment with drapery swags. Reclining figures upon pediment flank achievement. On tomb chest white marble reclining effigy of Katherine Paston. To west monument to Edward Paston 1632 by Nicholas Stone. Stone and black marble. Plain urn stands on square plinth within an aedicule of Tuscan columns with block entablatures. Above is segmental open pediment. Ceiling of aedicule coved and coffered. Enclosing both monuments are iron railings 1632: irontwist verticals terminating above top rail in ball and steeple finials, each finial with four wreathed scrolls. Square section uprights end in spiked finials above top rail. C13 sedilia in chancel with three arched and roll moulded openings. Trefoiled angle piscina to left. Boarded chancel roof. Painted Royal Arms to William IV 1831 over tower arch.
Listing NGR: TG3228234435
Other nearby listed buildings