This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0597 / 52°3'34"N
Longitude: 1.1586 / 1°9'31"E
OS Eastings: 616628
OS Northings: 244855
OS Grid: TM166448
Mapcode National: GBR TMP.ZNZ
Mapcode Global: VHLBT.1HCD
Plus Code: 9F433555+VC
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 19 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1374813
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275560
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4
Electoral Ward/Division: St Margaret's
Built-Up Area: Ipswich
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
642/2/159 ST MARGARET'S GREEN
19-DEC-51 (North side)
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
An early C15 flint Church with stone dressings. The finest Church of its
date in the Borough. It stands to the north of St Margaret's Green in a
commanding position set back in a large churchyard. At the south boundary,
part of the original C16 brick wall extends in front of the churchyard in
Soane Street (for its description see SOANE STREET). The fine battlemented
west tower has ornamental flush work panelling in the upper stage and a C18
octagonal faced clock, dated 1737, framed by pilasters and a pediment. The
battlemented south porch has 3 niches above the arched entrance. There is
a fine 5 bay nave with 10 clerestorey windows, with an unusual parapet of
crowstepped battlements with pinnacles. The aisle windows are Decorated
and the south transept is flanked by octagonal turrets with stone spires.
The interior has a fine C15 double hammer beam roof, a C15 font carved with
angles and C16 tombs to Edmund Withipoll (1575) builder of Christchurch Mansion
and Sir William Roskin (1512).
Church of St Margaret forms a group with Nos 10, 12, Nos 26 to 30 (even).
Nos 21 and 23 and Nos 2 to 6 (even) Bolton Lane.
Listing NGR: TM1662844855
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings