This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.924 / 50°55'26"N
Longitude: -2.6132 / 2°36'47"W
OS Eastings: 356994
OS Northings: 114015
OS Grid: ST569140
Mapcode National: GBR MP.Q5RK
Mapcode Global: FRA 56DN.RQF
Entry Name: Railway Goods Shed at Yeovil Junction Station
Listing Date: 15 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375680
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469658
Location: Barwick, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Barwick
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Bradford Abbas with Clifton Maybank St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 51 SE BARWICK
Railway Goods shed at Yeovil
241/5/10013 Junction Station
Railway goods transfer shed. Built in 1864 by the Great Western Railway to a standard design. Rectangular brick shed with the long walls in brick and the gable walls originally with vertical boarding but now with modern infill. The long walls each have three tall rectangular windows with vertically glazed panes. The roof, which is probably slated, overhangs on projecting brackets which are the ends of the rafters, the structure is probably original. The east gable originally had broad and narrow gauge arched doorways with the broad one on the south side. This wall now has a concrete block infill with vertical metal sheeting in the gable above; small door and window. The transfer platform still projects from the outside of this gable. The west gable has similar treatment but with a projecting single storey gabled office in the centre. This has sheeted walls and a slate roof. This gable appears to have been open originally.
Interior not inspected.
History. This shed was built by the Great Western Railway to give an interchange with the London and South Western Railway at Yeovil Junction Station (opened 1860). The branch from the GWR was authorised by the GWR(Yeovil Junctions)Act, 23-4 Vic cap 69 of 25 May 1860, and was brought into service on 13 June 1864. The shed was in use for its original purpose from 1864 until the removal of the broad gauge on the Great Western line in 1874. Although physical transfer from one truck to another was then no longer necessary it continued in use as a traffic interchange between the two railway companies until Grouping in 1923, and final closure of the Clifton Maybank GWR branch in 1937. It is probably one of only two broad/narrow gauge goods transfer sheds remaining in situ and one of only three surviving in all.
Sources. Pre Grouping Railway Junction Diagrams 1914, reprinted by Ian Allen, p.82.
Colin Maggs, The Bath to Weymouth Line, The Oakwood Press, 1982, p.30.
E.T.MacDermot, revised by C.R.Clinker, History of the Great Western Railway, Vol 2, 1964, pps.36 and 312.
Listing NGR: ST5699214016
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings