History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cemetery Wall of Former Leper Hospital of St Giles

A Grade II Listed Building in Boughton, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1916 / 53°11'29"N

Longitude: -2.871 / 2°52'15"W

OS Eastings: 341899

OS Northings: 366411

OS Grid: SJ418664

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2YZL

Mapcode Global: WH88F.W10L

Plus Code: 9C5V54RH+JH

Entry Name: Cemetery Wall of Former Leper Hospital of St Giles

Listing Date: 23 July 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1375952

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469931

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH3

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Boughton

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Description


CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4166 THE MOUNT
1932-1/6/200 (North side)
Cemetery wall of former Leper
Hospital of St Giles

GV II

Retaining wall of cemetery. Early C12, periodically repaired.
Coursed red sandstone rubble. Oval in plan. 36 x 24m, approx
1.6m high. The side to Christleton Road is almost straight.
The wall is battered. A stone tablet mounted above the south
side of wall to Christleton Road is inscribed "SAINT GILES
CEMETERY : HERE STOOD THE LEPER HOSPITAL AND CHAPEL OF SAINT
GILES FOUNDED EARLY IN THE TWELFTH CENTURY AND ENDOWED BY

SUCCESSIVE NORMAN EARLS OF CHESTER. THEY REMAINED IN CONSTANT
USE UNTIL 1645 WHEN DEFENSIVE MEASURES NECESSITATED THE
DEMOLITION OF BUILDINGS OUTSIDE THE CITY WALLS. THE CEMETERY
REMAINED TO MARK THE SITE AND IN TIME THE LITTLE VILLAGE OF
SPITAL CLUSTERED AROUND IT. IN 1644 UNTIL THE ROYALIST
DEFENDERS SURRENDERED HERE IT WAS ALSO USED FOR VICTIMS OF THE
PLAGUES WHICH RAVAGED THE CITY IN THE 16TH AND 17TH CENTURIES.
BEING EXTRA PAROCHIAL THE SITE WAS GRANTED TO THE CORPORATION
BY CHARLES II IN 1685 AS A BURIAL GROUND AND, THOUGH FOR A
PERIOD IN THE CHARGE OF ST.JOHN'S PARISH, IT REMAINS IN THEIR
HANDS. WHEN THE PROTESTANT MARTYR WAS BURNED AT THE STAKE ON

GALLOWS HILL CLOSE BY HIS ASHES WERE COLLECTED BY HIS FRIENDS
AND BURIED HERE. THE LAST BURIAL TOOK PLACE IN 1854".
The rear of the tablet is inscribed "I H S : MANY UNKNOWN ARE
BURIED HERE NOTABLY THE LEPERS FROM THE 12TH CENTURY TO 1643,
SOLDIERS WHO FELL IN THE BATTLE OF GREAT BOUGHTON 1644 AND
NUMEROUS VICTIMS OF THE PLAGUE".
The cemetery wall encloses a cemetery containing a number of
damaged table tombs, mostly C19 in date, none of which are
included in this item.


Listing NGR: SJ4189966410

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.