This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3663 / 51°21'58"N
Longitude: -0.4599 / 0°27'35"W
OS Eastings: 507310
OS Northings: 164146
OS Grid: TQ073641
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.NQN
Mapcode Global: VHFTX.ZX7H
Entry Name: 77, Heath Road
Listing Date: 27 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377491
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287041
Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT13
Electoral Ward/Division: Weybridge Riverside
Built-Up Area: Weybridge
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Weybridge
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 06 SE WEYBRIDGE HEATH ROAD
House. c1834 by and for James Taylor; C20 alterations and additions. Brick,
stuccoed, with slate roofs. 2 storeys; originally symmetrical, of 7 bays, now
with addition on left and symmetry destroyed. In Gothick style. C20 windows are
small-pane casements. Garden elevation: 3 central bays symmetrical with pro-
jecting gabled porch below central gable. Porch has angle buttresses, blocked
Tudor-arched doorway, similarly-arched window above with C20 window below
Y-traceried fanlight and to returns on 1st floor blocked pointed-arched openings
with term-like figures. Bays flanking porch have full-height sashes with
glazing bars to ground floor, 1st floor recessed and with C20 windows. Bays 6
and 7 project, having on ground floor a pointed-arched full-height sash with
glazing bars and on right a 16-pane French window, and on 1st floor a pointed-
arched opening with C20 window to left and a wide 4-light C20 window to right.
Embattled parapet. Bays 1 and 2 have recessed ground floor behind c1920
coInhnade, and mansard roof with two C20 windows above. Additions to left.
Roadside elevation: central gabled porch with doorway under arch on imposts
flanked by gabled porches with blocked pointed-arched entrances and a C20
window on outer side. On 1st floor, central 3 bays have C20 windows, central,
coped, gable and coped offsets down to 1st floor of outer bays which have
mansard roofs with narrow C20 windows. Added bay to right.
This was the home of James Taylor (1795/6-1846) who built the adjoining Church
of St Charles of Borromeo (qv) and who was an important figure involved in many
pioneering early C19 Catholic building projects.
Included for group value only.
Listing NGR: TQ0731064146
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings