History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Brockhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Loggerheads, Staffordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.9601 / 52°57'36"N

Longitude: -2.4059 / 2°24'21"W

OS Eastings: 372831

OS Northings: 340379

OS Grid: SJ728403

Mapcode National: GBR 7Y.KJ47

Mapcode Global: WH9BS.0VML

Entry Name: The Brockhouse

Listing Date: 14 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377588

English Heritage Legacy ID: 362613

Location: Loggerheads, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, TF9

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme

Civil Parish: Loggerheads

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Mucklestone St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


The Brookhouse


Farmhouse, now house. Probably late C16 or early C17, partially re-
modelled c.1700 with later additions and alterations; dismantled and
removed from its original site during the 1970's, the house is in the
process of being re-erected in its present location (in a disused
railway cutting) at the time of re-survey (1984). Timber framed on
dressed and coursed sandstone plinth with mid-C19 purplish-brown brick
cladding to rear, porch also of sandstone; plain tiled roof. Originally
a 4-bay partly open hall of longhouse type with an unheated storage bay
or granary at the lower (formerly east) end, approached by external
lateral steps to rear; the eastern middle bay was floored over in late
C17 and a double stack inserted at its west end, replacing an existing
dual firehood which had heatedboth the eastern and western middle bays;
c.1700 an external stone stack was built against the gable end of the
western bay (also formerly unheated). One storey and attic; cellar.
Framing: double-pegged close studding with single cross rail and short
tension braces; jettied to right-hand gable end with herringbone decoration. At time of re-survey (1984) 3 windows to ground floor and
3 gabled eaves dormers (that to right-hand middle bay larger than other
2), as left-hand- former storage bay has yet to be re-erected, all 2-light
late C20 latticed casements. entrance to left through gabled stone
porch with datestone 1636 over door; brown brick ridge
VA stack with capping immediately
to right. 2 partly exposed Wall posts to brick-clad rear. Interior:
under reconstruction at time of re-survey (1984), but timber frame
(including close studding of original firehood) exposed, several C17
plank and muntin doors; the cellar, under right-hand bay and lit by a
4-light mullioned window at ground level, incorporates stonework from
the C13 Cistercian Abbey of Hulton, close to the house's original site
at Bucknall, Stoke-on-Trent (note the mason's marks). Roof of Queen-
strut type, but with 2 collars and 2 tiers of windbraces. It should be
noted that in the course of re-erection, the building's axis has been
changed so that east has become west et cetera. Ian Bailey, builder,
(personal communication); Eric Mercer, English Vernacular Houses,
R.C.H.M. (1975), p.201.

Listing NGR: SJ7283140379

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.