This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4067 / 51°24'24"N
Longitude: -0.462 / 0°27'43"W
OS Eastings: 507068
OS Northings: 168639
OS Grid: TQ070686
Mapcode National: GBR 28.2U0
Mapcode Global: VHFTQ.YX30
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 11 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377699
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288030
Location: Spelthorne, Surrey, TW17
Electoral Ward/Division: Laleham and Shepperton Green
Built-Up Area: Walton-on-Thames
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: St Mary Mag Littleton
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 06NE SUNBURY-ON-THAMES, FORMER UD SQUIRES BRIDGE ROAD
3/57 Church of St Mary
Church. C12 origins, with chancel and south aisle C13, north aisle C14, clerestory
C16 and tower raised in C18. North chancel chapels (now vestries) of 1705 and
c1730, all restored in C19 and C20. Ragstone, chalk and conglomerate on nave with
brown brick to lower stages of tower, russet brick to top, orange/red brick to
clerestory and chequerboard brick work with vitrified headers on north chancel
chapel. Plain tiled roofs. Tower to west, nave with clerestory and pentice aisles,
porch to south, chancel to east and vestries to north. Four stage tower with plat
bands across each stage and on plinth below; battlemented parapet above. Quatre-
foil windows to upper stage of each face in rebuilt section. One 3-light diamond
brick mullion lancet window on west side of second stage, two-light windows on north
and south. Four-centre,arched-head and chamfered surround to lancet windows on
north and south sides of first stage, three-light window to west. West doors in
4-centred arched surround with impost blocks. Buttressed pentice - roofed aisle
to north with C19 fenestration; restored lancet on west face, one ogee section 2-
light and one blocked window either side of buttress. Parallel hip-roofed and
gable end ranges to north east, originally burial chapels for the Wood family.
South side of nave with deep coved plaster eaves. Buttresses to south side of
chancel to east. One 2-light trefoil-head lancet to east, chamfered 2-step surround
to pointed-arch lancet window east of pentice pier. Two lancets, in place of older
windows, the surrounds of which are still visible, to west of pier. C19 window to
east end, earlier squint window in old surround, in angle with chancel. Double
gable to east end with C19 3-light lancet window under brick relieving arch with
hood moulding and human head corbels. C18 gable to right with plat band and square
sundial. Porch to south gabled with 4-centre arched-head window to each return
wall. C16 roof with moulded spine-beam and cross beams on braces; chamfered joists.
Studded double doors in chamfered surrounds.
Interior:- Two original lancets to north of chancel with deep splays, crown post
roof above. Old work in chancel arch with two pointed orders and chamfered arches.
Early C14 octagonal centre column to north nave arcade with moulded strings on
inner order only. Large circular column to south arcade with two pointed and
chamfered orders with semi-octagonal responds. Pointed C14 doorway in north wall
now blocked by window. Fittings:- late medieval locker in south wall of south
aisle. C15 choir stalls with cusped ogee arches and panelling in the spandrels
said to have come from Winchester. Complete set of late medieval pews, restored,
and very restored rood screen of circa 1500. Fine Flemish altar rails with C-
scroll carving on the newels and very deep rich carving depicting the 10 command-
ments and eagles in chancel; circa 1700. Early C18 wooden pulpit with arcaded
tracery and small narrow high window into the south-east angle between nave and
chancel to provide light. Octagonal stone font with elaborate quatrefoil pierced
and crocketed font cover of ogee domed section above,on square pier. Hatchment on
North tower wall. On north and south wall at the west end of the nave an Italian
Trecento painting of six panels with six saints. Three bells by W. Eldridge 1666.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.351-2.
V.C.H. Middlesex (1911) Vol. II p.405.
Listing NGR: TQ0706868639
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.