This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3799 / 51°22'47"N
Longitude: -0.5322 / 0°31'55"W
OS Eastings: 502251
OS Northings: 165561
OS Grid: TQ022655
Mapcode National: GBR GC5.J7X
Mapcode Global: VHFTW.QLJ0
Plus Code: 9C3X9FH9+X4
Entry Name: Silverlands
Listing Date: 9 May 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380297
English Heritage Legacy ID: 480228
Location: Runnymede, Surrey, KT16
Electoral Ward/Division: Foxhills
Built-Up Area: Chertsey
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Lyne and Longrcross
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 06 NW HOLLOWAY HILL
Large country house, later orphanage and finally nurses training school. Rebuilding of a house built by a local brewer Robert Porter after 1814 in the 1820s by Vice Admiral Sir Henry Hotham with circa 1845 and later C19 extensions and early C20 Classical style entrance lobby and library added probably by Sir John Brunner who lived here between 1907-8 and 1919. Mainly yellow brick but some brown brick with stone dressings and entrance lobby and library are of stone. Slate roofs One, two or three storeys, irregular fenestration. Plan is 3 sides of a courtyard withb further service courtyard attached to west.
EXTERIOR: Earliest part appears to be east front which could incorporate some early C19 remains in the northern part but otherwise appears of c1845. This is of stock brick with stone dressings and hipped slate roof Centre part is of three storeys: 5 windows. Windows are sashes with mid C19 central glazing bars only to upper floors and later C19 large sashes without glazing bars to the ground floor. Moulded architraves with cornices to ground floor and central pediment on brackets, probably originally a doorcase. Moulded eaves cornice, modillion cornice above first floor, band between ground and first floors, end quoins and plinth. West front has tall Barry-like Italianate square tower with oculi to top stage. Centre of east front is flanked by setback wings to north and south also of stock brick with slate roof, each two storeys; three windows. Modillion cornice, band between floors and end quoins. Modillion eaves cornice and band between floors. Windows are mid C19 sashes with vertical glazing bars only but return to northwing has 3 early C19 12-pane sashes to first floor, two cambered blanks to ground floor and large tripartite window with stone architrave with cornice and brackets. Return of south wing is of mid C19 appearance of two storeys eight windows, including two end full-height splayed bays each with three windows. Sashes without glazing bars. Modillion cornice and end quoins. Centre ground floor has splayed porch with blustrading above , supported on two Ionic columns and two pilasters. Attached to east is early C20 library extension of stone. One storey with splayed bay in south side with two 24-pane sashes with Gibbs surround and central doorcase and simlar tripartite window in the west side. Northeast has brown brick two storey six window attached block which appears later C19 with cambered headed sashes without glazing bars. Attached at the east end is an elaborate early C20 Neo-Classical style stone entrance lobby , rusticated with parapet, pediment with elaborate shield, engaged paired Ionic columns, panelled door , rectangular fanlight and sashes to east and west. Two storey brick probable former stable courtyard attached to west.
INTERIOR: Entrance hall has elaborate early C20 Neo-Georgian panelling with full-height panels, putti with swags, and fasces and swag panel above striped and checked marble fireplace. Elaborate early C20 main staircase has elaborate carved oak balustrading and square newel posts with carved swags. There is a gallery, panelling and fluted Ionic columns. One ground floor room has c 1845 Adam style plastered ceiling and columns, another has early C20 dado panelling, doorcase with Gibbs surround and coffered ceiling with bracket cornice. Library has plank and muntin panelling, four putti with swags above marble fireplace with console brackets and florid coffered ceiling with semi-circular glazed skylight.
HISTORY: Built as a private house, the building was used as a war hospital in the First World war, from 1938 was the home of the Actors' Orphanage for "destitute children of actors and actresses" and later became a nurses' training school for St Peter's Hospital.
[BOE Surrey p459]
Listing NGR: TQ0225165561
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings