This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8183 / 50°49'6"N
Longitude: -0.1131 / 0°6'47"W
OS Eastings: 533011
OS Northings: 103785
OS Grid: TQ330037
Mapcode National: GBR KQH.N6R
Mapcode Global: FRA B6NX.V2B
Entry Name: St Marys Hall School and Attached Railings Terrace Walls and Piers
Listing Date: 20 August 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380484
English Heritage Legacy ID: 480685
Location: Brighton and Hove, BN2
County: The City of Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: East Brighton
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Brighton St George with St Anne and St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ3303NW EASTERN ROAD
577-1/50/247 (North side)
20/08/71 St Mary's Hall School and attached
railings, terrace walls and piers
Boarding school for girls. 1836. Designed by George Basevi and
founded by the Rev. Henry Venn Elliot, Curate of St Mary's
Church, St James's Street (qv) on nine acres of land given by
the Marquess of Bristol. Stucco scored to resemble coursed
ashlaring and quoins. Roof of slate, double span to the main
block and gable facing to the dormers. Tudor Gothic.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with gabled dormers flush with the front
wall to centre block; 3 storeys with facing gables to end
pavilions. 7-window range. The block is symmetrical about the
entrance which is Tudor arched with recessed spandrels,
moulded jambs and chamfered surround; to either side is a
single Tudor-arched light set in a flat-arched surround. All
other openings on the ground and first floor are flat arched
with Tudor hood mouldings which, on the ground floor of the
centre section, are connected by a continuous springing band.
Panelled door and hardware in sympathetic style date from the
late C19 or early C20. The window ranges at either end are
treated as projecting pavilions with facing gables; these
pavilions are built on a larger scale than centre block,
project above its roof, and are articulated by corner quoins.
Storey band between ground and first floors. Above entrance an
elaborate first-floor window composed of 5 pointed lights
which are gathered together in a single flat-arched surround.
To the left of the centre range, just above first-floor
windows, is a timber bell cote. The centre block is topped by
3 gabled dormers symmetrically disposed, each pierced by a
pair of Tudor-arched, double-light windows. Finial at peak of
each gabled dormer, that over the centre treated as a floriate
cross. Cross windows to the first floor of the end pavilions;
each end pavilion gable has a first-floor window composed of 4
Tudor-arched lights with a common transom and hood moulding
which forms a springing band continuous across the pavilion;
each end pavilion gable pierced by a 3 light, Tudor-arched
window; the gables themselves are stepped in their lower
halves, becoming pointed above. The strong symmetricality of
the elevation is broken by one peculiar feature of these
pavilion bays: the left pavilion gable has gabled returns
while the right pavilion gable has a gabled return to the
right only. These gable returns are themselves pierced by
double, Tudor-arched lights. The right return has a
full-height chimney breast; four 2-stepped gable dormers flush
with the wall plane. All windows on this return have Tudor
hood mouldings, although original openings have in many cases
been altered. The left return is similar to the right, but
even more altered. The full-height projecting chimney breast
has an elaborate brick stack, however.
INTERIOR: the entrance hall has a noteworthy open-well wood
stair with cast-iron balusters; the wood elements are simply
chamfered and frankly assembled.
Also included in this designation are the cast-iron railings
to the area at the foot of the main elevation and the complex
of brick, flint and stone piers, parapets and walls which
enclose and embank the west side of the 2 terraces immediately
to the south of the school. The entrance foyer and hall has
early to mid C19 tile paving.
HISTORICAL NOTE: when first opened the school was intended
solely for the daughters of clergymen. Admission was extended
to the daughters of the laity in 1920. St Mary's is now the
oldest school in Brighton in continuous use.
(Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 168).
Listing NGR: TQ3301103785
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings