History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Chancery

A Grade I Listed Building in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2342 / 53°14'3"N

Longitude: -0.5338 / 0°32'1"W

OS Eastings: 497960

OS Northings: 371795

OS Grid: SK979717

Mapcode National: GBR FMQ.9VM

Mapcode Global: WHGHZ.SZ00

Entry Name: The Chancery

Listing Date: 8 October 1953

Last Amended: 11 July 2000

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1380559

English Heritage Legacy ID: 480799

Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN2

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln

Town: Lincoln

Electoral Ward/Division: Minster

Built-Up Area: Lincoln

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Lincoln St Peter-in-Eastgate with St Margaret in the close

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Lincoln

Listing Text


SK9971NE MINSTER YARD
1941-1/9/233 (East Side)
8/10/53 No. 11
The Chancery

GV

Chancery, and adjoining outbuildings, now a house. C13, C14, late C15, C16, late C17. Altered early C18 and late C19. Rear range has substantial remains of buildings erected in the time of Chancellor Antony Bek, 1321-1329. Street range and parlour wing probably built by Chancellor Geoffrey Simeon, 1485-1506, incorporating the arms of Bishop John Russell, 1480-94. Dressed stone and coursed rubble with brick front and rear additions, timber framed parlour wing with close studding and rendered nogging. Plain tile and slate roofs with various brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys plus basements and attics, L-plan. Front range, 4 bays, has plinth, quoins, string course, and single ridge and gable stacks. Symmetrical section, to left, 3 bays, has central canted stone oriel window with 3 cross casements and crenellated parapet. On either side, a renewed 3-light window with stone mullions and hoodmould. Above, 3 smaller similar windows under C19 through-eaves dormers with coped gables. Basement has 4 openings with stone surrounds the outer pair larger. Entrance bay to the right, has 4-centred arched doorway with hoodmould and studded panelled double doors, c1500. Above, a stone mullioned cross casement with hoodmould. At the rear, in the return angle, parlour wing, 2 storeys plus attics, single bay, jettied on 3 sides. Restored early C20.
To its right, medieval solar with early C19 brick front, 3 storeys. Beyond, under 3-bay loggia, 1955, 3 chamfered pointed arched doorways, early C14, the central one restored 1873, formerly the entrances to service rooms and staircase off the medieval hall.
Beyond again, former kitchen, 2 storeys, 2 bays, and former outbuildings, now house.
INTERIOR: first floor Great Chamber in front range has moulded cross beam ceiling and bosses, c1500, and early C18 moulded panelling, doorcases and fireplace with broken pediment. Enclosure in South-East corner conceals a stone winder stair, c1500, with traceried 3-panel door into entrance passage. Adjoining room to North has early C18 wainscot and bolection moulded fireplace. Front range has a largely intact principal rafter roof, c1500, 4 bays, with double purlins.
At the rear of the great chamber, a landing with panelled doors in simply moulded surrounds, and a short staircase with heavy turned balusters and squared newels, all early C18. Parlour wing has a first floor room with a stone panelled fireplace lintel, c1500, and an early C18 cornice and ceiling, covering moulded joists. Ground floor has similar moulded joists and dragon beam.
North range has ground floor dining room c1500, with C18 panelling and resited mid C18 Classical fireplace.
To East , first floor chapel, C14, altered c1500 and restored C19, with moulded joists, spine beam and boss and close studded West wall incorporating a screen with traceried unglazed lights and door. To South East, an ogee headed piscina and bracket.
This building is important as a surviving example of early C14 and late C15 domestic building, and because of its early use of a brick front. In addition to being the official residence of high ranking clergy, it was leased c1381-1397 by Katharine Swinford.
(Buildings of England: Lincolnshire:Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London 1989-: 492-494; Jones S: The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln: 1084-: 51-65)


Listing NGR: SK9796071795

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.