This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7317 / 50°43'54"N
Longitude: -3.5253 / 3°31'30"W
OS Eastings: 292451
OS Northings: 93566
OS Grid: SX924935
Mapcode National: GBR P1.8FF5
Mapcode Global: FRA 37H4.QG4
Plus Code: 9C2RPFJF+MV
Entry Name: Hillsborough and Bloomfield
Listing Date: 23 June 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380649
English Heritage Legacy ID: 480973
Location: Exeter, Devon, EX4
Electoral Ward/Division: Duryard and St James
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Exeter St James
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 9293 PENNSYLVANIA ROAD
871/12/10108 (East side)
Hillsborough and Bloomfield
Terrace of 14 houses, some now divided into flats. c.1870 (built by 1876). Flemish bond red brick with some survival of original tuck-pointing; slate roofs, with 6 gables to the front; stacks with brick shafts with corbelled cornices and multiple old pots.
Plan: Symmetrically-designed terrace, set back from the road behind small gardens. Each house originally one room wide and 2 rooms deep with rear service wings and service yard (some now extended at the rear). Right hand houses have the front door to the right facing the stair. Left hand houses have front door to the left, the centre house with a recessed single-storey porch in the centre between the two blocks. The left hand half of the terrace has a stucco sign with incised letter, 'BLOOMFIELD', the right hand has 'HILLSBOROUGH' painted on the brickwork and on a similar sign at the right end. Differences in detailing of the two halves suggest that they may been developed by different contractors.
Exterior: 2 storeys with attics to 6 of the houses. Symmetrical front with 2 windows to each house. End houses slightly broken forward and gabled to the front with pierced bargebords with pendants, centre pair similarly treated with a narrow recessed bay in the middle, Nos 37 & 44 also broken forward and gabled to the front. Deep eaves with paired eaves brackets. Each house has steps up to front doors which have 4 moulded panels and plain overlights. Doorcases have deep projecting cornices which break forward above richly decorated consoles; panel below cornice has incised moulding. Ground floor canted bay window with moulded cornice and lead roof. 2 first floor sash windows, mostly retaining original glazing of 4-pane timber sashes with margin panes (no 42 has a plastic window on the ground floor); the windows on the left hand half of the terrace have painted voussoirs and keyblocks, similar treatment to second floor windows. The right hand houses have boards over the lintels and many retain the housing for louvred sliding sun shutters with timber canopies and bases on moulded blocks. The gabled houses have attic windows to match the others.
INTERIOR: Not inspected but some at least known to retain original stairs with turned balusters, joinery etc.
This terrace is a particularly good example of the superior middle class housing that developed in the Pennsylvania area between 1860 and 1910. It is shown on the 1876 1:500 OS map.
Listing NGR: SX9245193566
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings