History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Hanbury Arms Public House the Sassoon Mausoleum

A Grade II Listed Building in Brighton and Hove, The City of Brighton and Hove

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.8178 / 50°49'4"N

Longitude: -0.1189 / 0°7'8"W

OS Eastings: 532606

OS Northings: 103713

OS Grid: TQ326037

Mapcode National: GBR KQH.LRD

Mapcode Global: FRA B6MX.ZDW

Entry Name: The Hanbury Arms Public House the Sassoon Mausoleum

Listing Date: 13 October 1952

Last Amended: 26 August 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1380706

English Heritage Legacy ID: 481030

Location: Brighton and Hove, BN2

County: The City of Brighton and Hove

Electoral Ward/Division: East Brighton

Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Brighton St George with St Anne and St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


577-1/49/660 (East side)
13/10/52 The Sassoon Mausoleum
(Formerly Listed as:
The Bombay Arms Public House)


Includes: No.83 The Hanbury Arms Public House ST GEORGE'S
Mausoleum for Sir Albert Sassoon, now public house. 1892.
Stucco. Tent roof of copper. Square in plan with wing to
EXTERIOR: single storey over basement. In imitation of Nash's
Mughal-inspired design of the Royal Pavilion (qv). Elevation
to Saint George's Road is blank, except for a pilaster with
shallow trilobed-arched recess at party wall and at corner.
Cable cornice and lotus parapet continuous. On Paston Place
elevation, piers with a pair of thick pilasters with
trilobed-arched recesses. Flat-arched entrance to right set in
aedicule formed by projecting section of wall and topped by a
trilobed-arch, variously moulded; machicolated parapet above
entrance. To the right of the entrance a lower range
containing a second entrance with cornice and parapet to match
main elevations. Roof circular in plan, supported on a low
panelled drum; metal sheets with rib rolls terminates in
acanthus-leaf and urn finial similar to those found on the
Pavilion. The listing includes the 3-storey, 3-window range
terraced house of irregular plan to the east, which is now the
Hanbury Arms.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Sir Albert lived at No.1 Eastern Terrace
(qv), and was buried here in 1896; his son, Sir Edward, was
interred in 1912. Their remains were removed in 1933 by Sir
Philip, who sold the structure. It served as an air raid
shelter during the war, and became part of the adjacent public
house in 1953.
(Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 166B).

Listing NGR: TQ3260603713

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.