This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9007 / 51°54'2"N
Longitude: -2.0796 / 2°4'46"W
OS Eastings: 394619
OS Northings: 222459
OS Grid: SO946224
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.WJX
Mapcode Global: VH947.WHY9
Entry Name: Formerly the Sadlers Wells Theatre
Listing Date: 4 August 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 481494
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9422SE ST GEORGE'S PLACE
Formerly the Sadlers Wells Theatre
Puppet theatre, converted from an house; later used as a theatre, dwelling and eventually a garage. Converted 1795; for Samuel Seward. Red brick in English garden wall bond; extension at front rendered. Slate roof with gabled ends, apex of SE front gable has stone coping. Lateral stack on SW side with brick shaft.
PLAN: Rectangular single-cell plan with stage at NW end of auditorium. Later in the C19 the theatre was extended at the NE side and on the SE front.
EXTERIOR: 1 storey. The SE front is hidden by 2-storey 4-bay rendered range with sash windows without glazing bars [two blind] and two C20 garage at centre; set back behind is the stone-coped gable of the original building. SW side has two blocked cambered arch windows and blocked openings above under eaves. NW gable end has three windows, the centre is a large 16-pane sash flanked by two smaller 8-pane windows.
INTERIOR: Auditorium has plastered walls; slightly raised stage at NW end; short section of dado panelling on NE side; remains of fireplace on SW side. 4-bay collar and tie-beam roof. On original SE former front a stencil-painted sign: 'Sadlers Wells House'.
NOTE: Sadlers Wells Theatre was established in 1795 by Samuel Seward of Bristol as a puppet theatre. The theatre was converted from a dwelling. Seward was a talented actor, a member of Watson's Company, a very successful harlequin, a scene painter of renown and fashioner of automaton figures and marionettes. He ran the theatre with his wife and two sons, who helped paint the scenery. The puppet theatre continued for about thirty years. After Seward's death, it was re-opened in 1831 as the New Clarence Theatre.
SOURCE: Information provided by The Theatres Trust.
Listing NGR: SO9461222460
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings